Update on 1961 convertible

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
So I haven’t picked up the convertible as yet, the weather has not been compliant. I now have title in hand and have begun hauling the parts that were removed from the car when it was a driver. Lots of loose stuff :).

The vehicle sits in a solid shed on a down hill slope with a gravel drive, so we’re waiting for it to dry out a bit before I call for the rollback to load her up. The hood hinges are off, so it’s a bit of a challenge to snap photos of the cowl tag, but I did manage to read the codes manually.

The PAINT is “918W” which I think translates to Twilight Blue with a White convertible top. The TRIM code is “847” which is Aqua and Vinyl since it’s a drop top bench seat car. There are a pair of ACC codes, Q and X right next to it. Not sure what that represents, but the car now has power windows. Not sure if they are original. Anyone know what those represent? Here’s the best pic I can get at this point:

IMG_9413.JPG

Note the middle of the cowl tag, between the PAINT and TRIM codes is a “T” and a “10” with a bit of spacing in between. It’s an automatic on the column at this point in it’s life, I guess I need to crawl underneath and see if a factory cut was made for a four speed? Any ideas on what this might represent?

Not sure what the original engine was, but it was a V8. When the previous owner brought it from the East Coast (it’s a Baltimore car) it had a 1960 348 out of a passenger car (250 horse build) and a TH400. Those came along with the car.
IMG_9423.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Oops, that was a typo stemming from thick fingers :). It appears I can't go back and edit the title of the original post.

It is a 1962, just like my Daddy had from 1963-1967. I thought it might have been an Ermine White car, but apparently it was Twilight Blue. What would that have looked like with an Aqua interior?

Best,

TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Jim:

Thanks for the pic! I looked a bit as well, but I mostly spotted coupes, not the convert :).

I actually like that color combination, but for now it's been White with some non factory interior covers that appear to be Burgundy. Once I take possession I'll be able to investigate more.

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Brought the 1962 Impala home today. The weather has cleared a bit and temps are in the 60s, so it was a good weekend to haul the body to my house. Loaded her onto a roll back. At first we hauled with the top up but one fastener is wonky, so we put the top down for the 15 mile trek home.

Went over the top side once I got her home and began to wipe things down and inspect. Firewall and some parts were painted over the original colors with a black gloss that looks to be POR-15. Definitely was put on with a brush. Appears that someone put new suspension rubber in place not too long ago. Took some better close ups of the cowl tag. Still trying to decode things, but so far we know it was born a 1962 Impala V8 convertible with Twilight Blue on the exterior, Aqua on the interior with a White top. That “T 10” designation puzzles me a bit, the column is a PG unit and there is no factory cut for a T-10 four speed. Interesting, will have to explore further.

IMG_9448.JPG
IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9462.JPG

IMG_9467.JPG

IMG_9476.JPG

Got the usual corrosion in the back section, especially the corners in the trunk area, those are going to need to be rebuilt. Right door is out of whack and needs adjustment. Need to look at all the pumps and such for the hydraulics. Looks as if someone thought it was a good idea to graft some metal along the inner rockers as well. Still need to get her up off the ground and look at the underside.

Cheers!

TomK

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Build date 10C 3rd week of October, would that be 61, if so early build.

Nice donor for one of those 09's in your basement Tom.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,not sure if you are aware of the convertible rockers.Convertibles have metal running the length of the rockers from the inside rocker edge to outside rocker edges.They usually have a triangle steel shaped the "V" part facing down,which runs up to the front fender seperation.These are for strenghtening the body.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I can see that "V" part added to the inner rockers, but this one I think has some additional metal added. More investigation needed.

I started looking underneath and still have some sections to view. It's somewhat tight in the garage, hard to get to one side.
IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_9488.JPG
Not sure what the first steps will be, need to develop a plan for action :).

Cheers!
TomK

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
What I really meant was "It's hard to get my fat @$$ up from the ground in a tight spot" :) :) :).

This one is pretty nice so far. A little corrosion in the usual trunk areas, but the quarters, rockers and fenders seem solid.

Man, I'm tempted to put her together mechanically, slap an intermediate paint job on her, put the interior back in and take her for a cruise. Once I start a body off, it will take 2-3 years of constant effort. I'd like to get to know her a little better first, drive her around and such, so perhaps just do a mechanical upgrade (brakes, suspension, drive train etal) and paint her back White for now. The spots you see in the pics were the beginnings of feathering out the body. It does have the original primer, Twilight Blue lacquer and one coat of White enamel over that.

We'll see. In the end, the car will deserve to be done full tilt :).

Cheers,
TomK