Update on BA 409

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Okay guys time for a update.
You know we scored a 58 P/O rear for the beast and I was looking at some brackets and found some that Currie sell
http://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-7059A
So what do you think?
I could build some but just thought this would save some time guessing that they meet my standards.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
They look like nice pieces and they will save you a bunch of fabrication time. Are you putting the second upper control arm on also?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I go to the link, it looks like the single extra upper bracket is listed in the lower right on that web page?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Brackets on order.
I have a shot out for another pumpkin with hope that I could use it for my alignment bar.
If this does not come through guess its not that big of a deal because I can't keep running a 4.88 gear behind this peace.
You know how it is you just want more.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I ordered a set of similar bracket from johns last week for 145.00 shipped, they include two upper brackets.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
they are very nice made from 7ga [.180] material. I have a housing out of a 64 galaxy but it is a small web, these brackets are for a big web housing. I have a strange housing for a customers 66 caprice in my shop and the fit extremely nice on that. so I'm hunting for a big web on the cheep. picked up a strange HD nodular 3.250 center for $300.00 shipped and a strange billet aluminum daytona pinion for $104.97 shipped. need a 35 spline posi and axles.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks strong. A coat of paint, install under car, put on slicks, will look pretty. Just like when a gal dolls up for a date.................:winnerIf that doesn't work, beauty is just a light switch away..............:dunno:dunno

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Glad to see your going with the P/O rearend. :clap Not sure what your going with for brakes, I have a set of older style Wilwood brakes for the P/O housing, brakets, calipers, pads, rotors, I picked them up with a bunch of other P/O stuff a while back. They are designed for "dragstrip only".........rotors are too narrow for street use and the calipers don't have the E-brake connection, I won't be needing them. Let me know if your interested, I can post some pics.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I do have the backing plates and drum that came with the rear end.
It is good that you brought that up.
The axles are drilled for 5 on 5 and 5 on 4 3/4 but the drums are not

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I just checked and the wheel centering nub on the axle is to large to fit the 5 on 4 3/4 wheel.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
20160331_162911.jpg
Okay guys here is what I am thinking.
This is the P/O housing that Tom and I picked up for the car.
The problem is that it is to narrow so if I can't find another housing I am thinking of cutting the housing just before the taper on the axle tube and then put the bearing flange end in the lathe to turn the factory weld out of the flange end then add the length needed.
The difference is 3.5 inches and yes the axles will still work.
So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I guess a good thing is I can lose that ugly ass weld that someone else did.
I want to just put a whole new tube in but with the taper on the housing it looks like it would be a job.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You could cut the housing back to where it opens large enough to slide a new tube in. Then add a gusset inside the housing that the end of the new tube would sit in. That would really stiffen the housing, but it would be a lot of work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 51