Update on BA 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We put her away for a while to figure out what's next in the evolution of the car. Had it for 10 or 12 years now, first as a driver, more recently as a door slammer. Got it with a big-headed dual quad 409, headers and a TH350, drove it around for years. In 2014 we wanted to be a part of the Reunion program at Great Bend, so James did his magic and we put a fresh stock stroke 409 with 690 head, bunch of used stuff from down the basement. I think James was in the mid 12s with that engine. The BA409 got an upgrade last year. with a transplanted stroker from another car I had. Went with different heads (583s from Dan "Ishiftem"), new headers from Mark Wilson and James installed a McQuillen intake. Knocked the from bumper off and got into the 11s, with a best of 11.33 at 117.

Shaker.jpg

We decided the car was unsafe at those speeds, so it's back to the drawing board on this one. We'll put it on ice for a bit, everyone has other projects going and the resources are stretched as usual :).

Shaker2.jpg

Here's a shot of the engine bay:

Shaker stroker 460.jpg

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sounds weird, but the BA409 car has been "out of sight and out of mind" for the better part of the last year. Apparently I kinda forgot about it :(.

Now that it's back in sight I get the chance to go over things and assess where we might go with it :). It's good to have options. Better to have the resources to match :). Gotta work on those things!

Thanks to Nathan (see pic in James' post) for towing the BA409 20 miles up the road to the manshed on a windy day :). I like the new Suburban!

RussC

Well Known Member
Update!!!!! Tom and I had a little talk about the Shaker, and he said it should be a race car. :winner:burnout
So than means I can fix the rust and install a rollbar. :good
Sounds like it will see track time again. :cloud

Years ago I had a 6 point in our first belair. As the car got quicker I removed it and put in a full cage. I saved some part of it...not sure how much...I know the hoop is still upstairs. I'll try to look tomorrow. Might be something to start with??? You'ld be welcome to it