Update on my 61 builds

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
1st i would like to say Hi to Tom K. and Phil R. and will be looking forward to seeing you both in Great Bend with at least one of my cars....I recently passed a 12 year milestone and backed my 61 wagon out of the garage under its own power. A lot of that time was spent in disinterest and disappointment on some areas of the build, but lately my attitude has changed and after the interior is finished, i will decide if i'm going to keep it. I read a lot on this sight but usually don't have to much to say. My hardtop recently acquired a set of edelbrock heads on my 427 stroked 348 and it does run considerably better with no cam change. I will post a couple a pics and i DO REALLY ENJOY this websight................ Oh, by the way does someone know how the wiring gets into the tailgate for the backup lights??? Hey, we all need help sometime. Thanks, Dean

Attachments

• CAM00118.jpg
    CAM00118.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 97
  • CAM00112.jpg
    CAM00112.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DCP_5083.jpeg
    DCP_5083.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 91

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Hey Dean, good to hear from you again! Looks like you've made a lot of progress since I've last been by :).

Looking forward to Great Bend, I plan on driving the '62 SS car out in September.

Dean has a buddy who hand crafted a 1961 Chevy wagon converting it from a 4 door to a two door coupe. I remember he was making his own trim pieces to fit the new panels.

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They both look great Dean. My parents' 1961 Impala was red w/white top and stripe like yours. It's the car that got me hooked on cars....and on 61's particularly. I can't remember how the backup wiring for the tailgate goes, but if no one else can answer I will try to check into it within the week. My parkwood is stored at a friend's property or I'd find out right now.
I'll be looking forward to meeting you and whichever one you bring in September.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dean your bubbletop is beautiful. Can you comment on the wheel/tire package and suspension drop(s)? You really nailed it!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
"A lot of that time was spent in disinterest and disappointment on some areas of the build"

I think we all know that feeling :cry but your final result sure looks great! :beer
I'm not sure which car I like better, both of them look super nice. :clap

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dean....love your wagon!!!!!
I've got my 62 wagon here at the shop for a while. The tailgate is not on but had a customer take some pictures on the back end for wiring his 62 wagon. You're welcome to come look at it if you wish.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks for the kind comments.....both the cars are lowered my old school way...one coil cut and on that sharp end i move back about 3-4 inches and heat the spring and bend it back flat which with a heavy W motor lowers the car about 4 inches. The rear also was cut one coil, but i also run air shocks and jockey pressure depending on passengers in back or just to get the look i want. Still haven't figured out the wiring location for lights in the tailgate....luckily don't need them to drive the car. Phil, if i get to KC soon i will look you up. Thanks again guys, Dean

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Oh yes the wheels are the new ET's 15X8 & 15X7 With custom back spacing as i am running 2 1/2 exhaust over the rear which makes for a tight fit.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If they don't list air shocks for an X-frame car, you can use ones for a Chevelle. They bolt up the same.

TIREDIRN

Well Known Member
Thanks 1961BelAir427. I also see Air Lift sell air bags to go inside the coil springs. I thought they might be better.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks 1961BelAir427. I also see Air Lift sell air bags to go inside the coil springs. I thought they might be better.
You're welcome. I personally don't like air shocks much, but knew those would fit. I have had trouble with them leaking down.....or with the car sitting unlevel after jacking up one side to change a tire and letting it back down....etc. I like the "load leveler" shocks much better for raising the rear slightly. They are the "fake coil-over" shocks that bolt on like stock and will raise the rear about 1.5" to 2". They don't allow any adjustment though.

I've never used the Air Lift bags, but I know enough people who have to know they work very well. I would go for them instead of air shocks any day.