Upgrade ideas for 3 legged 10 bolt rear

northerndave

Well Known Member
Hi there, My 59 Biscayne has the 3 armed suspension set up from factory with the factory axle etc, thinking it's 3.5-ish gears (I did code it once, don't recall exactly but thinking 3.5-ish)

Car is 1 235/3spd and I'm dropping in a 409 in the near future, targeting 375-400 hp. I could just leave the rear end alone and be nice to it' and I will for the most part. I don't see us doing a pile of 2800 rpm clutch dumps from dead stops. The overall direction for the car is Well finished body, ,very nice paint, nice interior, a show n shine cruiser with the ability to deny that guy that has to try and pass you on cruises, lol.

For those that have done it before me,(dropping a W into a 6 cylinder grandma car) have you done anything out back?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cheapest way is to at least add the 4th piece.

The second arm on the rear end.

You can buy all the parts from Show Cars.
Highly recommend!!

Beyond that. Full replacement, Pontiac, Ford 9”, etc, much pricier.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
There are a whole bunch of 58-64 x frames running around with a split rear support from doing said clutch drops...... it actually rips the mount off the frame and breaks the frames saddle in half........Global west sells a reinforcement to go along with the 4th link.........

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The only thing here about that 59 is that you'll need to fabricate the left[driver side] crossmember so you'll have a place to hook the 4th arm to.I think that on the 60-64 cars this mod is basicly a bolt on.The 59 was a one off wasn't it? Those Global West arms would be a very good idea.

northerndave

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. We did do a pontiac/olds rear end for my buddy's 56 427 gasser last summer, freaking impressive unit. Looked like a ford 9" and a dana 60 had a child. We set his up for disc brakes, installed 4.10 gears set on a full spool, new bearings, new leaf saddles for the 56 springs. It was maybe an inch overall wider than his stock 56 axle (flange to flange) if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the input, I will check this stuff out. Fabricating the link bracket won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up on the reinforcement.

I will take the body off the frame during this project, any other popular reinforcement mods? Does anyone go out to the rocker areas with frame connectors?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys. We did do a pontiac/olds rear end for my buddy's 56 427 gasser last summer, freaking impressive unit. Looked like a ford 9" and a dana 60 had a child. We set his up for disc brakes, installed 4.10 gears set on a full spool, new bearings, new leaf saddles for the 56 springs. It was maybe an inch overall wider than his stock 56 axle (flange to flange) if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the input, I will check this stuff out. Fabricating the link bracket won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up on the reinforcement.

I will take the body off the frame during this project, any other popular reinforcement mods? Does anyone go out to the rocker areas with frame connectors?
If you do the "frame connectors"out to the rocker panels where are you going to run the exhaust on a street car with an x frame?:scratch

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The only thing here about that 59 is that you'll need to fabricate the left[driver side] crossmember so you'll have a place to hook the 4th arm to.I think that on the 60-64 cars this mod is basicly a bolt on.The 59 was a one off wasn't it? Those Global West arms would be a very good idea.
Don is correct, 59 only rear setup. 58 had a odd "wish bone" mount in the center.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I ripped "said" arm completely off the frame of my 409 powered 60 impala. I babied the snot out of that car but after 100 or so street races bad things can happen!