Upper front eyebrow trim 63 (Hubbards)

bobs409

Administrator
Anyone else here have the upper front fender eye brow trim from Hubbards for a 63? I'm NOT impressed with it much at all. I have no idea of the brand other than made in Taiwan!!! :bang

Finish isn't very good and there are impressions from when it was formed that catch the light. It also doesn't seem to want to cooperate with the install. It goes on but when I go to install the lower piece, one of them is short I guess as they don't slide together like they should. (gonna dig my old ones out and compare later)

I'm going to play around a bit more but it's not looking too good for these.

Even if you didn't buy yours at Hubbards, please reply with the brand and where you got yours at. I may have to try another brand??? :tantrum

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Searching the web only turned up 2 brands; OER or DII. I have no idea what these are. Anyone deal with those brands for these?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bought nos even before needed piece here piece there if they wasn't to crazy on price on eBay. I did get hood lip moulding as oer repro but it was very nice as original. All surround pieces front and rear I bought nos. Oer part's are very nice as I have bought tail light chrome bezel's ,front and rear console, hood lip moulding and other piece's as oer.

blkss64

Well Known Member
There are a couple of sets of NOS eyebrow mouldings now on Ebay. I know it is hard to spend a lot on stamped trim pieces but I learned the hard way on my 64. All of the eyebrow and lower grille mouldings that are repops are junk. When I redid my 64's, I could not get the repop stuff to fit and look good. The vendors did take the repop moldings back, but with having to pay for shipping both ways, and the wasted time it took on 3 different orders for the repops, in my case , I finally bought NOS. I have used only a few OER products, but what I used, seem to be good. If you choose to use OER repops and they are not satisfactory, you might have to go NOS. Even if you have your originals restored, it might be cheaper in the long run to buy on Ebay. Just my 2 cents

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hubbard's trim parts are most likely DII. I think Hubbard's works with DII(Dynacorn).

bobs409

Administrator
Well after fussing with things, I got the parts on. I tweaked the holes in the fender (perhaps the holes are my main problem) a bit but that lower piece only goes into the upper a little bit, maybe 1/8 inch or so. It's enough to hold it but I think that originally goes in further. I still had my old ones and believe it or not, the new ones are the same! I thought for sure they would be shorter.

I got out my repro hood molding to compare finish since it sits next to the eyebrows and it's about as good as these so guess I'll end up keeping them. Not much sense having nicer eyebrows than the hood molding. I suppose I was just expecting too much from repro.

As for NOS, I actually had one or two NOS'ers I bought way back from LGC but they were "tweaked" and did not look right. I guess a better word might be rejects but they were in a sealed GM wrapper. Gotta watch that NOS word as Mike once said, just because it's NOS doesn't mean it's nice. Since I was never able to find the missing NOS pieces I needed, I decided to sell them off and go all repro. Made a small fortune on the NOS parts anyway! :D

I noticed another label under Hubbards so I peeled it back and it says Corvex with a part number. Ever hear of that brand???

Gonna wait until I do the right side before making the final decision on these.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I bought the eyebrows, for my 64 SS from Harmon's. They look OK, but do not fit flush against the fender.:bang I had to put black caulk behind them, to fill them in.:doh I also, bought the 2 moldings for the trunk lid. They were almost 1/4 inch too short. :mad I called them up, at the time (2007) and complained. The guy on the phone, was rude and said ,"we have no control of the quality of these.":bat Well, why would you sell inferior chrome? That's what people look at.:doh "Buddy, if your not satisfied, send them back." I'm gonna, because these are crap.:bang Never bought from Harmon's again.:bat Don't know, if they are still around.:dunno

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I never heard of them before either. I would have thought that Hubbard's would use DII, they must have gotten a better deal from Corvex? So Hubbard's loses more points!

bobs409

Administrator
Yesterday I wrote Hubbards and asked what brand they sold of the 63 eyebrow moldings. Got a reply today that they make their own! Something rotten in Denmark there!!! It had Corvex on the bag inside the box and Corvex label under Hubbards label on the box. Also said they make a lot of their own moldings. I guess making your own parts these days is slapping your sticker over someone elses? :dunno

I also asked about why they don't list the brand with the parts and all I got was "we never did that". Yeah, I know... :bore4

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Another good source is trim part's. The other alternative is if your old molding's are salvageable is to have them repaired and reanodized. Oer part's have a catalog of their own ,but I have seen where they do sell some on e bay

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just looked on oer part on line catalog and they just came out with rear cove for 1963 89.95 each.they have front eye brow also for 63.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did a search for Corvex moldings and looks like they SUCK!!! See: https://www.google.com/search?q=Corvex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=corvex molding

I never even heard of this brand before. :scratch I won't be using anything else from them.

We need to get reviews going for these vendors and parts companies. It's time to fight back and hopefully save others from wasting their money! :mad5

That's a great idea Bob. We should have a special section just for them, the parts purchased and how they fit. I see that Hubbards has been mentioned, and I'm no fan of theirs, but many parts I purchased from them, fit okay. My bone of contention with them has always been their shipping rates. I know when I was putting together my '56 and '57 Chevy's, I bought a lot of parts through Danchuk. My experience with them was that if they made the part, it fit good. If imported, not so good. I read someplace that Danchuk would try one of their parts they made on a car they had available. That way adjustments could be made before pressing out a 1000 of them. Tough to change things when you import a 1000 of them and the fit isn't so good. Not sure if they still do this. I know not many vendors do. Could be wrong, but many will gladly take your money and don't want to know you after that. I can't help but think that the vendors are aware of a problem part because of returns. You would think they wouldn't sell anymore but continue to do so. Seems like they got stuck with them and want to pass the misery on down the line, Carmine.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
I just looked on oer part on line catalog and they just came out with rear cove for 1963 89.95 each.they have front eye brow also for 63.

WOW! Summit racing has them for $46.97 each. (and I'll get free shipping) They have the lowers too for $36.97/pr so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on them. I'll have both brands side by side for some serious comparison!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
WOW! Summit racing has them for $46.97 each. (and I'll get free shipping) They have the lowers too for $36.97/pr so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on them. I'll have both brands side by side for some serious comparison!
Are they OER product???