UPPER STEERING SHAFT CUPLINK GREASE RETAINER REP:ACEMENT

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
My latest problem on my 63 SS is in the steering shaft. I need to replace the rubber grease retainer on the upper steering shaft. I looked on the Show Cars web site and they have what appears to be an exact replacement. Upon disassembling the upper coupling I noticed a large pin going through the shaft blocking removal of the rubber grease retainer. Has anyone replacing this without removing the shaft ?. Removing the shaft looks to be a pain. Any suggestions ?

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could try a c clamp and socket or I have heard of others useing a ball joint press to take them out I personally haven't done it that way being I had my column out and disassembled I used my press.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The easy way is to remove the column so the pin two square pins can be removed by hand.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I used my ball joint c press with column in car and upper shaft in . Only took a few minutes to remove pin once I figured out how to press it out . Slide seal on shaft then reassemble the slip joint in order and you are done Over kill with a heavy duty press but it work's. I will refresh a post of how another guy did this with a steering wheel puller . Look for it in this 58 thru 65 full size Chevrolet. If you look in shop manual for 1963 ,the SUPPLEMENT book page 4-2 it states you can remove upper shaft from column in the car . You can do it this way also but but why , much quicker just pressing out pin and don't have to remove upper shaft. Show's break down of coupling and the upper full length steering shaft from cross pin to steering wheel spline's.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a picture of the lower column with the lower shaft parts disassembled. A new and old seal is in the picture

The square nuts lift off -held on by a special clip, no need to remove the pin.

The short stub steering shaft that is cut off is fromP1030436_tn.jpg
a full length column shaft in this picture.
As I noted the square nuts will fall off the clip.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the removal procedure for the column, not hard in my opinion

leave the steering shaft connected to the steering box and remove the bolt from the bottom of grease cup(that has the rubber seal in it) at the bottom of the steering column. Tap the grease cup with a hammer that has ridges on the bottom end that slides on to the steering shaft ridges. Slide it off the shaft (while someone pulls the column from inside the car).

Unbolt both clamps under the dash that hold the column to the dash and slide them off the tabs(note how they are installed for reinstalling the column). Unplug the turn signal switch from the harness on top of the column, also unplug the single wire for the horn from under the dash. You don't have to have the steering wheel removed but I always have the steering wheel removed.

The column comes out from the inside of the car.

The steering column seal goes on the bottom of the column (after removal of the parts on the bottom of the column that prevent the seal from sliding onto the black tube on the column).
The column seal is tipped and tilted through the oblong firewall hole to reinstall the column with the new seal. All of this removal and replacement work is easier with 2 persons.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just learned that you do not have to remove the steering column to remove the grease cup and replace the rubber seal at the bottom of the column.
  • Remove the steering wheel.
  • remove the bolt/nut at the bottom of the column.
  • loosen the small round clamp/bolt/nut that tightens the column shaft against the bottom of the steering shaft.
  • pull the steering shaft up from inside the car -this will create enough space to remove the steering shaft from the steering gear.
  • Slide everything up and the steering shaft can be removed allowing removal of the grease cup from the column with the steering shaft and the rest of the column still bolted to the bottom of the dash and the inside of the firewall.
Paul

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I am going through the same issue here , after trying to pound the pin out = no go, clamp and socket and 5 more hands to hold the POS =no go, tried every pair of vice grips in my arsenal with various scraps of pipe ,flat stock etc = no go. Pulled out the ol air hammer with a small nut welded of the point and a couple squeezes of the trigger BINGO,BANGO came right out , keep it as in line ,straight on as possible . Now just to wait for the seal to come in , what grease do you use to repack wheel bearing grease ????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I used wheel bearing grease. I went and welded in the bottom plug solid so no grease could seep out the bottom of
the flex coupler. About any grease chassis grease or anything would work ,not that critical on type. Like I mentioned before I used a c type ball joint press ,and has no problem pressing it out and back in.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We have replaced several of the rubber boots and never had to remove the pin. The new boots stretch enough to work the boot over one end of the pin at a time.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That's the way, I did mine, also. I left it out in the sun, for a couple hours, then stretched the rubber over the pins, like Jim said. :clap