Using a 327 distributor as an oil pump primer

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Being the cheapskate I am, I bought an HEI distributor that fits the 348/409 for $42 + shipping.
Idea being to make it into an oil pump primer and then put it back together and use it as it was made for.
I know I could just buy the primer tool from show cars ($60 plus shipping)... but there's that cheapskate thing.
However, it looks like to make a primer tool out of the HEI distributor, I'd render it useless as a distributor in the future since I would have to cut the cam gear off.

So long story slightly shorter:
I have an old junk yard 327 distributor (no cost) and thought that might work as a primer tool.
I've read they are slightly longer so you can't tighten it down on the intake.
One thing that comes to mind is ... does the oil passage line up to lube the lifters?

But my guess is someone here may have already tried this and may have some suggestions.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Being the cheapskate I am, I bought an HEI distributor that fits the 348/409 for $42 + shipping.
Idea being to make it into an oil pump primer and then put it back together and use it as it was made for.
I know I could just buy the primer tool from show cars ($60 plus shipping)... but there's that cheapskate thing.
However, it looks like to make a primer tool out of the HEI distributor, I'd render it useless as a distributor in the future since I would have to cut the cam gear off.

So long story slightly shorter:
I have an old junk yard 327 distributor (no cost) and thought that might work as a primer tool.
I've read they are slightly longer so you can't tighten it down on the intake.
One thing that comes to mind is ... does the oil passage line up to lube the lifters?

But my guess is someone here may have already tried this and may have some suggestions.

The 348/409 distributor stands alone. The oil passages do not line up when using the small block dist. Resulting in failure to push oil to the lifter bore.

hamjet

Well Known Member
I'm also cheap. I took the shaft out of my stock 348 distributor, had an old sbc distributor laying around and pulled the shaft out of that, cut off the advance weight piece on top and put it in the 348 distributor without adding the cam gear. put it in the engine and ran it with the drill occationally rotating the engine a 1/4 turn by hand.it worked pretty good....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ozzie,Dosen't that HEI have a gear that's attached with a roll pin?If so.do what Hamjet did.I have a difficult time thinking that the HEI gear is welded,and would have to be cut off.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Thanks everyone.... I'll take a look at all the things you guys mentioned and post back.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I understand being a cheapskate but I don't understand why be cheap in this particular area so you spent $45 on a hei that WONT work and now are you going to spend the $60 to get the show cars piece that REALLY now cost you $105 ($45+$60=$105) so by being cheap it COST you about 70% more.

Reminds me of my mother that will drive 40 miles each way plus an hour each way in time plus gas and tolls to shop at the "outlet store" instead of paying five dollars more to by the same thing at the regular store less then five miles and five minutes from home.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Your mother analogy doesn't work in this case ragtop66.... I can retrofit the HEI that cost $42 and use it INSTEAD of the $60 show cars tool.
I'll use the gear from the no cost 327 distributor (but cut off the cam gear) and reinstall the bottom part (with the roll pin), for the connection to the intermediate oil pump drive rod, on to the HEI shaft. Then when done using it as a prime tool, put the HEI gear back as it was and use it as a distributor.

Don.... the gear is not separate on any of the distributors in these pics.... not sure on an actual 348/409 stock unit.
The narrow part that engages with the oil pump intermediate shaft and the gear are all one piece and mounted to the shaft with 1 roll pin as you noted.
The gear on these units would have to be cut off.

In the pics below, the HEI is on the left, Pertronix in the middle, 327 on the right.

Also through doing this exercise, I've noticed the the pertronix is 1/8" shorter going the distance from where it contacts the intake manifold to the bottom of the shaft where it engages with the oil pump intermediate shaft. In the pics the HEI is 7 1/4" and the Pertronix is 7 1/8".
I wonder which one is correct.... Maybe if someone has a stock 348/409 unit they could take the measurement and post back.
I think the Pertronix is more correct.... in which case I may be able to shim up the HEI an 1/8" so it doesn't put unwanted pressure on the oil pump.

HEI-Pertronix-327%20-%201.jpg
HEI-Pertronix-327%20-%202.jpg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just one thing to add if my memory serves me correctly I think stock Chevy distributor shaft size is .490 and a lot of aftermarket run a .500 shaft size so the 327 parts might be a little loose in the hei distributor. Probably won't be an issue just as an oil primer though.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Unless I'm missing it somewhere if your using the hei distributor body ( I think I ASSUMED you were using a stock GM HEI which would have only been on mid 70's and up the 327 and 348 were long gone by then) it won't work in the 348 it will drive the oil pump but it won't get oil up to the lifters that upper machined part of the hei will not line up and block the oil galley and when you go to spin it you will get oil pouring out of that hole inside the block and running down the distributor body. Back down into the oil pan. If I missed somewhere that your using the stock 348 distributor body or aftermarket 348 hei, then I apologize. Another thing to check is make sure you have the correct oil pump drive rod. Whoever previously owned mine had a small block one installed and the 348 distributor gear could not engage the oil pump drive. Caught it on mine before putting the oil pan on.

Chris

poison ivy

Well Known Member
ive used a 409 truck dist with just the teeth milled off of the cam gear. then weld a small 3/8 drive socket on top, ( one that will pass thru the dist housing), it then has the correct slot in the correct place for oiling, and is usable with any intake.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
sbc distributor/primer will match up but the diameter of the block off rings are too thin. Oil flows past and not into the lifter galley. sbc and bbc are longer but can use an adapter.

7719.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Years ago, I took an old small block distributor and made a collar with the correct width spacer for the top and built up the bottom "rings" with JB Weld, then turned them down in the lath to the correct 348-409 diameter. I was almost thinking of trying it in an engine back when I didn't have a correct distributor for my engine. But I ended up cutting the top off and using it for a priming tool. It worked great, got a good flow to the lifters.