V12 W

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 702 V-12 was like 2 351 V-6's "welded" together.

I used to drive a 478 V-6 and also a 637 V-8, which actually replaced the 702 in '66.

All those engines, the V-6, V-8 and V-12 all had the same type heads and valve covers.

Similar to Detroit diesels different series. 53, 71, 92, 110, and 149 series. Interchangeable parts within the series. We had 53, 71, and 92 series. Anytime a V series 53 was tore down the block was cracked. Noisy little powerless bastards. Oliver had them in tractors. The 71 and 92 series lasted and were tough. We had a 3-71 on a water pump, rings were shot, no compression but it used no oil due to being a 2 stroke with the blower. Wouldn't start without a squirt of either. Finally replaced it with a little B model Cummins. Well over a gph less fuel. I think fuel economy was one of the big things that did in the 2 stroke engines. That and the fact that Cat would put out the same hp with six cylinders as Detroit with 8 or 12. I overhauled a couple of the 71 series in the last century.

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 702 V-12 was like 2 351 V-6's "welded" together.

I used to drive a 478 V-6 and also a 637 V-8, which actually replaced the 702 in '66.

All those engines, the V-6, V-8 and V-12 all had the same type heads and valve covers.
The GMC V12 had a dedicated 1 piece block casting & 1 piece crankshaft. Heads, intakes & exhaust manifolds were sets of V6 parts.
Jeff

62BillT

Well Known Member
Similar to Detroit diesels different series. 53, 71, 92, 110, and 149 series. Interchangeable parts within the series. We had 53, 71, and 92 series. Anytime a V series 53 was tore down the block was cracked. Noisy little powerless bastards. Oliver had them in tractors. The 71 and 92 series lasted and were tough. We had a 3-71 on a water pump, rings were shot, no compression but it used no oil due to being a 2 stroke with the blower. Wouldn't start without a squirt of either. Finally replaced it with a little B model Cummins. Well over a gph less fuel. I think fuel economy was one of the big things that did in the 2 stroke engines. That and the fact that Cat would put out the same hp with six cylinders as Detroit with 8 or 12. I overhauled a couple of the 71 series in the last century.

I once had a 6V-53 in a GMC 7500, drove a 6-71 one time, rode in an 8V-71 once and still have a 2-53 in a John Deere 435.

The government really killed the 2-Stroke (EPA). But yet the government still widely used them for many more years (military). They knew just how good they were. The Detroit was also known as the engine that won the war (WWII). Although I do agree they drank a lot of fuel. Which also made them drop out of favor when Diesel prices jumped.

You can probably tell that I'm still a big fan though, lol.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Detroits have an amazing history.

Most have heard of all the popular sizes, but in the 71 Series alone, many don't know that they actually made one as small as a 1-71 and as large as a 24V-71. In the 149 Series they made a 20V-149. Try putting one of those in your pick-up, lol.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I had 6v53, 3-71, 4-71, 6-71, v6-71, and a 6v92.

I believe redline on a 6-71 in trucks was 2,100. I heard an old truck drivers saying that you need to bump your shin and head getting into the cab....then get in and wrap/beat the piss out of that Detroit....

Back in the last century the only tractor we had was 6-71 powered Binder 2000 with a 10 speed. Bought a heavy rock Crusher in Du Bois, Nebraska. Planned on going over one day coming back the next....too long of story to tell, but 3 or 4 days later came out into Iowa from Nebraska City on hwy 2 with a load over 120,000#. Up comes this bigassed friggin hill. Kept shifting down, finally hit 1st gear which ain't very low in a 10 speed....rpms kept dropping, oh shit.....below the power range....was afraid I was going to be dead in the road, but somehow limped over the crest of the hill....what a relief. Not nearly enough hp for the load and definitely not a tranny with a low enough gear. Another escapade of getting by with what you got. Couldn't afford a real tractor. Didn't take enough warm clothes and walked out the bottom if my cowboy boots. This is the kind if stuff I dream about at night....

62BillT

Well Known Member
You sure were over weight, lol. That was asking a lot from that truck. Glad you made it over the hill. I believe the Detroit is 2300 RPMs. But I would just go by ear. Hardly ever looked at the tach. I know what you mean by downshifting. My GMC 9500 with the rare combination of a 637 V-8 Gas and a 10-Speed Road Ranger would also require a lot of shifting on hills. For a Gas engine, it acted a lot like a Detroit. The truck was a 20 Ft Flatbed with a tandem axle and a GVW of 46,000. I'm sure your Binder was a tandem tractor. What was the GCVW? If you can remember.