Valve cover breathers????

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I disagree, I think they were forced to suck the vapor out of the crankcase by the Feds. Your engine does not like igniting oil vapor.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Cecil, I have seen it on a '61 Corvette a friend restored. I have only seen one '62 Impala in a scrap yard with it so I grabbed it. I read in my '62 assembly manual that it was offered as an option. Leo

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's something else I forgot to mention. Recently, I saw a 409 oil pan that had about 10 or 12- 1/4" holes drilled in the top, both sides, towards the back. There were 3 rows of holes. I was told this was old school for venting the crankcase. I thought the crankshaft splashed alot of oil around so how was the oil prevented from leaving? I saw no signs of anything ever being fastened in this area to prevent it. It may or maynot work, but I don't believe I would try this anytime soon.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The deep sump pan I bought with a motor back in the 70s was in a roadster and had one of those aluminum 90 degree breathers bolted to the side of it with some holes in the pan. Can't imagine just having holes there without a screen or breather.

Different baffled grommets fit better or looser if the O ring doesn't work might try a different brand.

My Ford(Holley before that) engineer friend says it is a help for engines more than just the Feds regulation. Gets some of the bad acidic partially burnt blow by gases out also helps reduce pressure so better on the pan seals at idle also. They can help add a little idle air bypass also 3-4 cfm at idle like drilling holes in carb butterflies to help with a big cam.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Must have been a rarely checked option. All I ever saw was oil dripping from the road draft tube back in the day. Thanks for the update. Leo

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone, just finished my valve covers. I used a set of '58 covers, did the measuring, drilling and fitting of a plain breather in one and a breather with a pcv valve in the other. Ran a line from the pcv valve to the carb. The covers were in sad shape and took alot of work but look real good. New decals too. Actually, everything looks like it belongs there. Will try and take some pics. Thanx to everyone for all your responses. Learned alot. Carmine.

smgarland

I have a 1958 Impala with 348 engine stroked to 434 ci. When running high rpm's or really getting on it I get a fair amount of oil blasting out of the front oil fill tube. The oil gets splattered up under the hood pretty bad. This does not happen when normal cruising just when I really step on it. I have the newer style Edelbrock 4 barrel intake with a MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection unit installed. I have the stock road draft tube and stock vented filler cap. On the Edelbrock intake I have hooked up the breather hole at the rear of the intake to the air cleaner base per Edelbrocks instructions (Not to PCV). My question is, I am thinking of adding baffled breathers to both valve covers, hooking one to PCV through the carb and one as a breather only. If I do this should I block off the road draft tube? Also, do I need to seal up the vented oil filler at the front of the intake if I go with this set up?