Valve cover gaskets

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Working on putting things back together. Installed the passenger side valve cover with the thicker gasket. Pressed on it and removed it. No signs of the white grease. Because of the increased height, I can't use the factory choke tube as is, so I did buy an electric replacement. I didn't get any directions at all with it. Seems simple enough though. I made a ground wire and found a switched 12v source. Have current to the cap. Question is, how do you adjust this cap. I see printing on the cap that says lean, but how do I know if I'm too lean or not enough. I checked the butterfly choke and it moves with little to no resistance. I had it wide open and turned on the switch. Nothing happened. Was this suppose to close??? If not, then how does it close?? There is current to it. I bought longer Phillips head valve cover bolts, and no surprise here, they are too long by about 1/8 inch. No big deal really. I'll just have to cut them. I think I'll wait for an answer to this issue before I secure everything. Thank you in advance, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine ,the female terminal is the ground. The male terminal is the 12v key on power . Video is worth a thousand word's.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Great video. Thank you. Have the driver side back together. All is done except the passenger side. Going to look at this video a few more times then give it a try. Probably not until tomorrow. Hopefully things will go well. Going to change the oil and filter then swap places with the Pontiacer. That poor Chevy is going to have a meltdown. Spent it's entire life in warm Alabama and when I got it, went into a heated garage. Going to put a battery tender on it. Wrap it nicely with it's car cover, and in about 4-5 weeks, might just be motoring. Yup. Like that idea, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got an idea that Carmine's trying to set the choke up backwards[power is used to heat the coil and OPEN the choke,not close it] from what he posted.I simply didn't want to comment and "double post" what Don had said.:doh

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did you see it Don J. The video has no wire 's on the cap .that is why I mentioned the wire hookup.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,but I have set up an electric choke a time or three.Like you did at work,I've worked on a good many that came from the factory equipped with electric chokes as well.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did go out in the garage and tinker with the choke some more. I have the wires correct. There is a plus and minus on the choke cap. I'm so glad that Don posted that video. I looked at it a few times. Before the video, I thought I was close with the choke adjustment. No way. I had that so tight the butterfly would have never have opened. Turned it at least a good half of turn to where the butterfly appears to act like the one in the video. But let me ask, if the motor is cold, isn't the choke suppose to close when you pump the accelerator a few times, releasing it. Kind of acts independent. Then, whether it's be a factory heat tube or electric cap, it will start to open by either, when the motor warms. Would that be correct?? Thanks, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes that is right .when engine is hot choke will be fully open.When you start it cold then you depress throttle to set choke ,it will Realease linkage and go shut .Depending how rich or lean you set it is how quick or slow it will open as you warm up engine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, with the electric choke, as soon as the key is turned on the element in the choke will start to warm up and open the choke. So, remember if you have the key on and the engine is not running the choke will start to open and the engine may be hard starting and run rough until it warms up. You can turn the key off and let the choke cool off and close then start the engine if preferred. You also may have to slightly readjust the choke a few times depending how fast or slow it opens and how fast the engine warms up.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, with the electric choke, as soon as the key is turned on the element in the choke will start to warm up and open the choke. So, remember if you have the key on and the engine is not running the choke will start to open and the engine may be hard starting and run rough until it warms up. You can turn the key off and let the choke cool off and close then start the engine if preferred. You also may have to slightly readjust the choke a few times depending how fast or slow it opens and how fast the engine warms up.
OK. Thanks Don.

Funny thing Jim, when I was fooling with it earlier, I felt the choke and whatever that material is that it's made of, and it was getting warm. You could easily feel it. My first thought was that I had a short or the wires backyards. Checked them for polarity and they were fine. Never knew this cap would warm up like that. Actually, I didn't know how it worked, but I do now. Really want to change the cars around tomorrow. Thought I'd take a few pics of both and post them. Just looked outside. Snowing. Hopefully, it's just a squall, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine, make sure you have that power source on a fuse close to the source if you don't .Usally I use the fuse panel extra empty spades that get power when turning key to on,and those will be using the fuse already for that circuit.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, make sure you have that power source on a fuse close to the source if you don't .Usally I use the fuse panel extra empty spades that get power when turning key to on,and those will be using the fuse already for that circuit.
I'm using a wire that feeds the windshield wiper motor. This wire is in the engine compartment and has a connector in the line which has an additional wire attached to it. It looks like a factory wire and connection. I never could figure out where it went. Red in color. Not a real heavy gauge wire. Key off; no current. Key on; current. I'm pretty sure this wire is fused at the box for the windshield wiper. Maybe I should put a fuse in the line for this wire/choke, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd also suggest a larger[stronger] fuse in the wiper fuse slot,say going from a 15a to a 20a. The inline fuse just for the choke wouldn't be a bad idea.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd also suggest a larger[stronger] fuse in the wiper fuse slot,say going from a 15a to a 20a. The inline fuse just for the choke wouldn't be a bad idea.
OK, I can make that change. What size fuse for the inline choke wire do you recommend Don?? Thanks, Carmine.