Valve cover gaskets

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Quick question: when the motor is warmed up, should the butterfly be perfectly open and perpendicular to the carb. body?? Mine can move about 1/8" or so to be perfectly lined up. Something else I keep forgetting, what to do about the hole in the exhaust manifold because there is no more heat tube?? Just leave it? Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You're fine ,Carmine,and yes you can just leave it open.
OK Don. Thanks.
I just got everything back together and it started right up. Sounds real good. Strong. Let it warm up some and then shut it off. Changed the oil and filter. 6 quarts. Oil light went out and pressure came up. A little different this time. Before taking it apart, I had about 43-45 lbs. of oil pressure when first starting the cold engine. This time, with fresh oil in a slightly warm engine, I had about 38 lbs. Guess it's no big deal. Just different. Probably the warm motor has something to do with it. I never let the car idle too long before, so I really don't know what it might have dropped to if anything.

Can you stand one more question about the electric choke then that's it. Promise. Assume you have a cold engine and the choke is set properly. You press the accelerator once or twice, releasing the butterfly allowing it to close. If you were to leave the ignition switch on allowing current to go to the choke, in whatever amount of time, would you eventually/gradually see the butterfly open on its own? Haven't left the garage yet with it. Maybe tomorrow and will get some pics. 14 degrees this morning. Takes the fun out of everything, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Carmine, with the electric choke, as soon as the key is turned on the element in the choke will start to warm up and open the choke. So, remember if you have the key on and the engine is not running the choke will start to open and the engine may be hard starting and run rough until it warms up. You can turn the key off and let the choke cool off and close then start the engine if preferred. You also may have to slightly readjust the choke a few times depending how fast or slow it opens and how fast the engine warms up.
carmine Jim explains.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, made the switch today. Nine degrees this morning. Did I ever mention that I really hate the cold and winter. I mean I really do. I am really sick of it. Been here in the northeast my entire life. If wherever I lived, never went below 50 degrees again, it'd be ok with me. Anyhow, the niner started right up. I'm still not happy with the choke but I'm not asking any more questions because I promised I wouldn't. The GTO was on a battery tender, and with a manual choke Holley, it started up pretty good. Moved them both outside and took a few pics which I will post. They aren't the best, but the freakin' sun was in the way. Guess I shouldn't complain. At least it's some warmth. Other then tweaking the niner some, I should be good to go when it's time. I really do like that car and motor. I must, spent a small fortune on it. It really does bring me much joy and pleasure when running properly. I'm a happy camper at 45-50 mph. Have the GTO on the lift. The undercarriage appears solid. Rust free but needing some detailing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything, but not this time. Guess that's ok. It's things I can do myself. Not a lot of expertise is required. Suits me just fine. Flexible rubber brake lines are in sad shape and have to be replaced. I'm not going to replace everything as I did with the niner. Just things that need to be. I don't want to do a partial re4storation again. There will be plenty to keep me busy until show time. Just want to thank everyone again who helped me through this gasket issue, Carmine.
GTO 3.5.17 2.JPG GTO 3.5.17.JPG Impala SS 2.JPG Impala SS.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You didn't show the chicken's LOL? If you still need advice on choke just ask , car's look great.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Both vehicles are beautiful!
The choke probably needs just a little tweeking at this point. With the engine running and still cold adjust the spring tension until its running smooth and not excess unburn fuel smell from exhaust. Youre almost there. BTW look inside carb with engine not running and open your throttle. Look to ensure your accelerator circuit is pumping fuel for easy starting.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks everyone. I am close with the choke, but that will be another day. I'm really starting to like the look of those poverty/dog dish hubcaps on the '62. Initially, I wasn't real sure, but now that I can stand back a distance and look, I like them, Carmine.