Valve springs

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Seems as though I've got my self in a mess. I purchased some COMP springs and retainers for my former cam. I somehow screwed up on the installed height and the springs I have now are waaaay to stiff for what I need. I now have an Isky 286 hydraulic with .510 lift. I called Isky this morning and they suggested a spring with about 130lbs on the seat and 315lbs open. Is this too much for me? This is a street engine. It will rarely, if ever, see high rpms. I just don't want to wear my cam out too fast with a ridiculous spring. Any suggestions????
Ross

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Those spring pressures are reasonable for a high performance cam. However, I would not break a new cam in with those pressures. Are the new springs double or single springs? If double you can remove the inner spring and break the cam in using only the outer spring.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
should be ok

My limit on Hyd cam springs for break-in is 145 seat. 130 is most likely single spring. Should break-in without problems. Lots of cam lube, 2 extra quarts in the pan and GM Engine Oil Suppliment poured over the valvetrain area. 2000 rpm for 30 minutes and it's done.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help, guys! I have some light-weight springs on there now. Isky told me they sell those particular springs quite often for that cam but I'm not sure if everyones driving style is as conservative as mine. They are single springs with a flat damper. My tech guy, Rod, suggested that I could go with some taller retainers to increase the installed height. That would lower the pressures some. I think it was a .060" difference. Would they be worth it? Any interferance problems with stock rockers?

EOS is the way to go!! Directly from the mouth of Isky! My machinist spoke with him. In the last 20 years they have had no harness problems but the new oils are causing some issues. They reccomended a bottle of EOS and valvoline 50 weight VR1 racing oil. Another guy in town that does only racing engines uses/sells CenPeCO oil. He has had good luck with it. I think a lot of tractor pullers use that stuff.

Ross