Valvetrain Inspection

ron61

I have a problem with my 409. At 4800 the engine total shouts down. Is it possible the lifters are bleeding down. I have no revlimeter on petronex two distributor, demon 625. The cam is SC #950 with spring pressure 115 on seat and 325 on opening. Trying to figure why it shout down. The cam should go to 5800 or a little more.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a problem with my 409. At 4800 the engine total shouts down. Is it possible the lifters are bleeding down. I have no revlimeter on petronex two distributor, demon 625. The cam is SC #950 with spring pressure 115 on seat and 325 on opening. Trying to figure why it shout down. The cam should go to 5800 or a little more.
No sir,It should not be spun to 5800 or above! That little cam will peak at 52-5400 in a 400 inch engine.This shutting down at 4800 sounds like either a fuel problem[running out] or an ignition problem.

ron61

I believe my carb is running out. 5/16 fuel line I have ordered from SC 3/8 fuel line. I have to wait till it warms up. Last Week it was -60 below chill

ron61

I also changed the fuel pump to 110 gph and i have to empty my gas tank to chang the sending unite to 3/8 with a return if i need it later. I don't need the higher rpm but shouldn't happen. It is just a fun street crouser.