Vent window regulator tip

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m sure this is common knowledge to a lot of you guys but should your vent window crank start slipping, getting super loose etc its likely that one of the peened tabs that holds the rear cover on has broken off. I pulled mine out today to have a look. The housing is soft metal (pot metal) and can easily be drilled and tapped for a 1/4-20 screw to hold the rear cover back in place. While you are at it, clean out the worm gear “wax/grease” and add a little SuperLube, screw the rear cover back on and re-install. Works great!

Just wanted to pass this along to those of you that don’t mine tinkering a little.

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yup had to do that on my 62! Though mine were very rough. Both the bottom covers were popped off and I only found 1 of the back covers so I had to fab up new covers. They work like new now. I didn’t go 1/4 20 though for the screws to hold the covers on they were a smaller machine screw size I can find out tomorrow what I used. Here a pics of mine.7A79B65B-F977-4EC3-AD52-078D27EAAA7C.jpeg2949CD67-F6B8-4A0A-BAC6-690C6AEF88B9.jpeg

Junky

Well Known Member
I would suggest that you use a slightly longer bolt, and put a lock washer and nut on the backside. That way, it will not ever loosen up again. The reason that the bottom plate comes apart, is that when the window is closed, people have a tendency to try to tighten it "just a little more". This extra "push" pushes against the bottom plate, and in turn, that loosens the crimped "rivet" effect of the original fastening of the part.

bobs409

Administrator
I've already found those back plates at the bottom of the door. :D

My biggest question is, does anyone ever USE their wing windows??? I open mine about once every 3 years just to see if it will still open. :roll

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yah I had a buddy with 64 Impala 300 hp 327 factory 4speed (still has it bought it new) would crack it open in the winter to stick his cigarette in and flick the ashes off.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I would suggest that you use a slightly longer bolt, and put a lock washer and nut on the backside. That way, it will not ever loosen up again. The reason that the bottom plate comes apart, is that when the window is closed, people have a tendency to try to tighten it "just a little more". This extra "push" pushes against the bottom plate, and in turn, that loosens the crimped "rivet" effect of the original fastening of the part.
:yup.........done many of these and as Junky says use a nut on the end......:good.....I use a nylock nut on a 10-32 bolt that
works great.......:read.......much stronger than tapping the casting......:cool: