Vented or Non Vented gas cap ???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Did the 1962 come with a vented or non venter fuel cap ?? Mine is letting fuel past the cap on the corners and I need to replace it.

If it is vented, why does it say "Remove slowly - may have pressure" All the suppliers say 1958-1864 Vented, and 1965- 72, Non Vented.

As usual, I'm confussed !!! :dunno:crazy

Bill

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I went out and looked at the cap on my 63 and it clearly says vented. The cap has a raised area in the middle with a small hole and I used the air gun to blow through the cap. It is as it says clearly vented and I would say that it is the original.

Bill

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The vented cap question made me wonder if it allows enough air for the amount of fuel that is needed for these engines? In later years Chevrolet used a tank vent line on Super Sport models that went verticle into the trunk made a loop and back down as a vent. Does anyone think the small vent hole could be starving the fuel pump and causing the vapor lock and other associated problems you read about? I know that my Biscayne can go through some fuel if you are running it hard.

Bill

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Like Bill says, fuel venting is important. In aircraft, it is critical and many accidents from engine failure are due to fuel starvation from improper or obstructed fuel vents. It's like putting a straaw in a coke and holding your thumb over the end and pulling it out of the bottle. Nothing comes out of the straw until you remove your thumb.

There were changes in the fuel tank venting systems in 60 and again in 61. The fuel vent for 58 and 59 was a vent line loop, except wagons which had a hole in the pipe for venting. 1960 changed to a vented cap and 61 changed again to holes in the filler pipe as shown in the pics below from the 60 and the 61 Chevrolet New Product Information Manuals.

1960 Fuel System

1960ChevroletFueltankChange.jpg

1961 Fuel System

1961ChevroletFueltankChange.jpg

1961ChevroletFuelFillerChange.jpg

:coffee:

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Good Question

My 58 has a vent in and out of the trunk but when I was driving it the thought never accured to me I just had a jobber locking gas cap. Ecklers lists a 58 to 63 Vented.
If I let the car sit for a couple of days or more it wouldn't start unless I manually primed the carb by pouring some gas into it, could be that the tank vent hose was plugged up and the locking cap would'nt allow it to breath. The other ones are the drains from the rear deck. that condesation builds up and has nowhere to go.
My brothers 52 Chevy gas tank whistles as your filling it and stops when full.
Really freaks out people at gas bars.
John

Attachments

• Trunk Gas Vent.jpg
    Trunk Gas Vent.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Gas Cap.jpg
    Gas Cap.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 37

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Cecil