"Venting" about a RockAuto part problem

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I made my first order with RockAuto, a right rear wheel cylinder Delco of course. I received it in a couple of days so good there but when I went to install it this morning I quickly realized I was sent a left rear!!!! GRRR! Had to go online to explain so they are shipping another one be here in a couple of days. Do those people know how much I hate to do brake work and self bleeding!
This is on the red 62 SS car.
Robert

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To each their own, however this is why I prefer to go to the parts store. I can see what I am getting rather than wait a couple days for shipping just to have to ship it back and wait another couple of days. That line in the parts store seems pretty fast compared to shipping times. And yes, I went to 3 auto parts stores yesterday :irk

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
I miss dealing with the old parts guys at your local store though. When I went to get a 327 starter last year, I was told, after being shown 3 wrong starters that Chevy never made a starter that bolted sideways instead of up. After "discussing" this wrong fact further with the youngster, a gentleman my age came out of the back, listened in and rattled the parts number off. Walla the right starter appeared.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I wouldn't be able to keep my 62 on the road as easy as I do without Rockauto because they have the best international shipping and have most of the service parts I've ever needed. In Australia, I can't just go down the road to a parts shop and get what I need for a 57 year old Chevy, but a quick look online and the parts show up a week or 10 days later. I've learned patience. I virtually have my own parts store in the shed - rad hoses, fan belts, engine/trans mounts, oil/air filters, brake cylinders, shoes, brake lines, anything consumable.

They sent me an email recently with a discount code if anyone wants to use it - save you 5%.

The code is 8597470874757690 - Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discount cannot be applied once an order is marked as shipped. Expires on July 28, 2019!

425/409ER

Well Known Member
have used Rock Auto for a long time, just ordered stuff this week. I have only had one problem with them and anytime there was a problem after that they have been spot on to take care of it. Last year I got a super deal on a bunch of BBC intake gaskets, ordered 10 got 9, sent an e-mail to them 2 days later a new set showed up. I had a fuel pump that has a lifetime warranty, sent it back 3 years later they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Yup they mix up orders from time to time but so has Summit and Jeg's and Jeg's sucks to deal with.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just for the record, I am not singling out Rock Auto. I have never used them, or any other mail order parts place. Like some, if I was in the position where I needed to I would. As the cars get older, and the parts people younger, many with no experience in the auto industry except they were shown how to look up a part at the counter for 20 minutes, I am not trusting that I can order the part and get what I asked for. Then the issue for me is shipping time, return time, "if it is wrong" I don't care if the company is great. I don't want to have to package it and send it back, and then wait for another one.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ok here is the morning RockAuto update! I have just received an email proudly announcing that my replacement cylinder has been shipped. Ok being curious I looked carefully at the details and it is the same damn part number as the previous one and included a product photo. I even looked at the photo and it is clearly a left rear cylinder just as the first order even though the description says right rear needed on their narrative for return.
Ok I don't know what to do as there is no number up there in New York to call them!
The closest ACDelco distributor is about 25 miles from me and they have to order it from China I guess as they no longer keep older parts in stock. Yes. even ACDelco parts are clearly made in China. I hope they are made better than my 5 blown up Chinese trailer tires last month. Just continuing to vent.....
Robert

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i always got a few things from rock auto with no problems until recently!! i ordered a patch panel for my 61 bubb and was sent a panel for a 55-56 chev i had no problem returning it but when it came to receiving my replacement part 6 wks later i found out it was missing, the problem was that they have no customer service (apparently only online) i had to jump through hoops to battle with fed ex with no help from rock auto after almost 2 months of no part and no credit back to my card i finally got a hold of rock auto through email and they dragged there heels awhile longer, it was a terrible experience but finally got reimbursed.......this will never happen to me again .
.my advise is contact them through email service@rockauto.com good luck...........

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have even tried the service@RockAuto.com but no response! This car I sn’t scheduled for a show until the Virginia Beach Regionals in September so I have time. Can probably load in trailer and unload on showfield with emergency brake if I have to. I am selling this car so will really be in a way if a prospective buyer comes along!
Maybe I should have ordered a no name wheel cylinder from my friend’s auto store as he only sells the no name Chinese ones now but has to find one Probably made by same factory
I compared ACDelco to Raybestos cylinders and they are the same with same color plastic protectors!!!!! But ACDelco $5 more.
Just venting......
Wonder if anyone is close to NY Distribution center?
Robert

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
keep sending emails i know i ended up sending 1 a day for a few days until a got a response

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just take the new wheel cylinder internals out ,go buy a $8.00 cylinder hone, hone old one install the cups and spring use the new outer cups and bleed . You can buy cylinder kits for the cylinders , but since you already have a new cylinder use it.You are finished I will never buy from them got burned from them also . Defective part, so they say send back, bla,bla,bla. I will buy local .

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have purchased a few items from Rock Auto. Never a problem. But I do prefer using my local parts store. My local store will match internet pricing on the same brand item.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I like Don's suggestion about rebuilding the old one using new parts from the new one that's for the wrong side.Unless that old one is deeply pitted,there will be no problem.Overhauling wheel cylinders used to be "standard practice".as Don and I both are old enough to remember.So's Robert,so the question becomes why not,CRS,or just lazy?:poke

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Wished I had a dollar for every wheel cylinder I rebuilt through the years since 1968. A very common procedure .I had rebuilt a lot of disc brake calipers also, unless piston was pitted then you buy a different rebuilt caliper for cost difference.