"Venting" about a RockAuto part problem

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well..... just received the replacement brake cylinder from RockAuto and guess what? Yep is the same wrong part as previously. What the heck do they think the “L” means that is part of the stamping or casting number on the cylinder? Ok now what except use that service email every couple of hours
Robert
Liberal,they also think that the R stands for Republican.:wacko

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well..... just received the replacement brake cylinder from RockAuto and guess what? Yep is the same wrong part as previously. What the heck do they think the “L” means that is part of the stamping or casting number on the cylinder? Ok now what except use that service email every couple of hours
Robert
Order the left one,maybe you will get the Right one.:doh

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Another update. I had sent a service email to tell them it made no difference which part number the box said the latest one sent was a left rear also. I received an email late this afternoon that they were canceling further action on the order and going to refund all money I had sent for the first cylinder. So I'm fired as a wheel cylinder customer. This one was stamped with an "L" at the end of the casting like the earlier one.
This is not the first time a service or supplier has fired me. My lawn service fired me several years ago!!! I really catch heck around here for that as it is a well known local firm.
I found an advance auto close to me that had one and have bought it as not all area advance auto's stock them. It wasn't in a box just a plastic bag with a part number. I hope it lasts.
Robert

baker_7361

Rockauto is a mixed bag. I use them a ton. Some issues but overall, I'm happy with them. Perfect for parts for my daily beater. Doing an LS swap on a C10 and Rockauto is making the project cheaper.

For some stuff, I'd check out Amazon. They're starting to carry a lot of stuff and a good amount of it is sent through prime shipping. Your wives probably have a prime account already. Haha

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
its not the selection or website that sucks!
it's the service when they send a wrong part and you try and get it fixed
sure they'll take it back
but if something goes missing your f#@**&&***d then the circus begins

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have an interesting update to the brake cylinder problem. I took one of the incorrect AC Delco cylinders down to the Advance Auto that had the wheel cylinder in stock. The young parts counter person took the AC part "to make sure it matched his stock ones" and came back with a correct one. I found out today their parts computer system gave him the wrong part number and was a left cylinder as the ones shipped by RockAuto ! He asked the manager for help because their computer system only listed Belairs and he thought that was why the wrong one was in the bag.
Yep, Tommy Nolen was correct in throwing away the Rock Auto coupon.
I have heard there are countries that drive on the wrong side of the road but I am wondering now if the left and right side of autos are switched in China as all those parts are made there.
Robert

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I must be the only person baffled by this story. First, I've bought dozens of parts from Rock Auto for modern cars and the Chevys and have never had a bad experience. But more importantly, according to my 1938-1964 original Chevrolet dealers parts catalog and according to my original '64 4-door hardtop I checked tonight, the wheel cylinders ARE THE SAME LEFT AND RIGHT REAR. The line on the driver's side one goes in angled from the back, the line on the pass side one goes in angled from the front. They're the SAME PART, Part no 5459918 in the parts book! If you think about it, why wouldn't they be? There's no logical reason for them to be different. By the way, they cost $5.60 at your Chevy dealer in 1964.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you look up the cylinders on Rock Auto for 62 or 64 (I did online), they show picture of ac deco cylinders left and right rear and the line opening is opposite. Every brake job I recall on these cars there was a left and right. Just saying .:dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If you look up the cylinders on Rock Auto for 62 or 64 (I did online), they show picture of ac deco cylinders left and right rear and the line opening is opposite. Every brake job I recall on these cars there was a left and right. Just saying .:dunno

My 62 and both 61’s are all the same the cylinders are left and right. But if you reconfigured a brake line on either side then I agree you could use both sides with the same cylinder as the difference is only which end of the brake cylinder is machined for the brake line.
Robert

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
One small disappointment I've had with brake parts from Rock Auto isn’t really their fault. The Rock Auto listing for a brake hose says Raybestos or AC Delco and the box or bag the hose comes in says Raybestos or AC Delco too, but the hose only has a Chinese name printed all over it. Rock Auto used to have a small American flag after products made here but you don't see it as much anymore. A sign of the times I guess. I wouldn't mind paying a tariff or a little more $ to get them made here again.