Venting, Ranting, or whatever

ragtp66

Well Known Member
One of the many things that irritates me more then the usual complaints of poor fit, not exact as the original, etc is when a part is passed off as a reproduction rather then a service replacement. To me a reproduction should be as close to the original part ESPECIALLY in appearance as well as fit and finish. Now I know I am probably sounding like I am making a big deal over nothing but follow along. What I thought would be a reproduction of the original water nipple for the intake was a DORMAN HELP product #56356 still in the DORMAN packaging. Mind you the fact the same part could be bought from Advance Auto Parts or O'Reillys for $6.99 which means I paid 71% more for the same part not counting the shipping too. Then to add insult to injury I bought a total of 7 items on this invoice and 4 of them were Schaffer's Classic Reproductions parts, One from Show Cars, one Dorman, one from GarDen Classic Parts. The last irritating thing is that I ordered part number 139285 heat riser insulation and of course no where on the website does it give you the length or let you know that there are TWO lengths although going to my Schaffers catalog sure enough there are two different lengths. SO guess who gets to pay to ship back the wrong item and the stupid Dorman hose nipple. I went through 3 different vendors to get the CORRECT rear parking brake cables because of poor descriptions and ignorant vendors.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Eklers bought out Macs a early Ford vender, same deal poor quality and high shipping. They are getting some real bad feedback via the forums.
One positive thing about it is I have found some small venders that have quality parts both used NOS and reproduction and they build and drive the same cars so they understand unlike Eklers/Macks where your speaking to a operator that knows nothing about anything...:crazy

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I was working on the 63 several years ago (2008), I bought some parts from a company at the Springfield swap meet; I then ordered several more from their catalog. At the time they were priced a lot cheaper than most. Through the years I lost the catalog and forgot the name of the place. At Bowling Green, Bird told us about Cars & Truck shop. com; when I got home I looked it up and it was the same place. I ordered several more parts from them a couple of weeks ago, they're still priced lower than most. The catalog still looks like the one from 2008, which I finally found in the garage.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I have order several things from the car and truck shop and have been pleased with there products ,Ecklers and Hubbards uuhhm yeah I'll pass , You pay for that nice shiny catalog that they send every month.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I appreciate you guys mentioning these shops. Several I have never heard of. Thanks, I am always looking for something better or cheaper.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Eklers bought out Macs a early Ford vender, same deal poor quality and high shipping. They are getting some real bad feedback via the forums.
One positive thing about it is I have found some small venders that have quality parts both used NOS and reproduction and they build and drive the same cars so they understand unlike Eklers/Macks where your speaking to a operator that knows nothing about anything...:crazy
Is Dennis Carpenter still around? My Dad used them quite a bit, I had a tour of their operation in Charlotte in 1992, they made all their own pot metal, plastic, and rubber parts on site then.
Don

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know I will never ever use them again for the exact same crap!!!! If I wanted Dorman crap that does not fit like original I would go to the local auto parts store.