Very Hard Clutch Pedal

impalanut62

Supporting Member 1
i'm Having A Hard Time Trying To Figure This Out. In The Morning When I Go To Work The Clutch Pedal Works Fairly Good But As Time Goes By The Pedal Gets Very Hard To Push In To The Point That It Will Not Disengage The Disc From The Plate. This Is A 62 409 Newly Rebuilt
With A Centerforce Clutch Disc And Pressure Plate. Can Anyone Help?

mac1

Well Known Member
Could be the TO bearing shaft. As its heats up, its expanding, limiting
TO bearing travel. The clutch fork could also have a broken spring compounding the problem. I would try spraying some lithium grease on the bearing shaft. This might temporarily fix the problem. If it does then a new TO bearing and clutch fork might be in order. Bearing shafts aren't that expensive to replace. It its not out of round, you could try sanding down the surface smooth. Good luck.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like a pressure plate/TO bearing problem to me or maybe like mac1 suggested if the bearing is a little to tight on the shaft it rides on it may be getting even tighter as it gets hot. Was the trans hard to get in when you installed it:dunno Ive also heared alot of different complaints from guys about those Centerforce clutch set ups. Ken

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Hard clutch pedal

JOHN, I had EXACTLY the same problem for 2,000 miles before I found the problem. The more I drove that day the harder it was to push in the clutch. I read in one of the GM manuals that the splines on the transmission need a coating of wheel bearing grease.(coat splines with grease and wipe off with a rag.) Also put grease into the throwout bearing recess where it rides on the front bearing retainer. My clutch is now velvet smooth all day long. I am positive this will work for you!!! :cheers:cheers Leo

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ excellent tip...I was going to mention the grease. Very important. Helps installation also :deal

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yup fill the reseased area with high temp grease and it's good to go!