Very light smoke still there

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I reported previously about a very light blue smoke coming from the driver side tail pipe. I went on several rides and it still exist. It is very light in color but there nonetheless. Yesterday, I took the car to a large car show/swap meet about 65 miles from me. Some interstate travel. At times 62-65 mph. Oil pressure was a constant 45 lbs. and temp was at 180 degrees. Coming home in the afternoon same route only it was much warmer out. Depending on traffic, temp. was 180-190 degrees. Car ran strong. Engine sounded real good. Had a friend who was also going there, follow me over just in case. He reported seeing puffs of smoke, on occasion, coming from the passenger side tailpipe when taking off from a stop. I guess this was something new. Put the car in the garage. It really was a great day/weekend.
Before leaving yesterday morning, I checked the oil on the dipstick and saw where it was exactly. This morning, I checked it again and it apparently had used some. It had been slightly above the full mark and now it was slightly below the full mark. I pulled a spark plug from each side and they were reddish-tan in color. They appear to be firing ok. I then started the engine and stood behind it. While cold and warming up, nothing from either pipe except exhaust. Once the engine was reaching operating temp., you could see what appeared to be a very, very light blue smoke coming from the driver side tailpipe. The passenger side could have had a little also but not as pronounced as the driver side. This smoke isn't something that would follow you down the road, but if you look, you will probably see it. Went to the machine shop and spoke with the machinist. He is aware of it and I'm going to continue to run and enjoy the car. Guess I'll see where late Fall takes me. I probably have about 250 miles on the engine. I'm sure I'll be changing the oil over the summer. Forgot to ask the machinist what weight oil to use. With this slight smoking problem, what weight should be used?? Straight weight or multi-grade?? Also, has anyone experienced a problem like this on a rebuild?? Thank you, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't think that you have enough miles on it yet,Carmine.As to the weight of the oil,I'd recommend 10-30 ,either Brad-Penn,or Joe Gibbs semi-synthetic since you went with a flat tappet cam in this engine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't think that you have enough miles on it yet,Carmine.As to the weight of the oil,I'd recommend 10-30 ,either Brad-Penn,or Joe Gibbs semi-synthetic since you went with a flat tappet cam in this engine.

Gosh, I hope you're right Don. I try to drive the car at least every other day. I have a 20-25 mile route I go on. I just enjoy driving it. Presently, there is Joe Gibbs oil in it from the machine shop. I'm somewhat sure by July or so, I'll have the miles on it for an oil change. Thank you for your input, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I think if you continue to see a little smoke from the right bank especially when you start off I'd be looking at number 6 & 8 cyl. valve seals. Oil could ponding there enough to get by a seal

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with 62impala. I built a motor for a guy on a Friday. A rush job because the customer is always right. I told him how to break it in over the weekend. He brings it back Monday and is complaining that the engine is smoking. I told him to hold on. I took the bike and rode it for no more than 10 miles like 62impala said, and returned it to him. No more smoking.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Today, I pulled all 8 spark plugs. Took pics so everyone could see them. I was thinking that with a little blue smoke and slight oil consumption, there might be some residual on them. Nope. The plugs were very clean with 5 of them having a tannish color on the ceramic insulator if that's what it is called. Plug # 5, 7 and 8 were different. They are almost as white as the day they were installed. Not really any color other then white. Not sure what to make of this. Is this indicative of anything?? Thank you, Carmine.

5.6.15  1.JPG 5.6.15  2.JPG 5.6.15  3.JPG 5.6.15  4.JPG 5.6.15  5.JPG

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Reason I asked about the rockers was this:

After ~400-500 miles on my LWA rebuild, I noticed some "light" smoke coming from the passenger side exhaust.

Drove it back & they removed the valve cover & found the stock "stamped" rocker arm on the exhaust side was broken in 3 different pieces. Broke at the "crown" of the rocker.

Upgraded to roller rockers and she's been fine ever since. That was ~4000 miles ago.

PS - What gap are you using on those plugs? Just curious.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Even if your rockers are okay now - Eric is right about keeping an eye on your stock replacement rocker arms. Most people will not use them on 348/409's because there has been so many problems. I've always heard you need to either go to a roller rocker (whether full or just roller-tipped) or find a good set of used original stock rocker arms.
The reason for going to the roller rockers in your case wouldn't be for any performance advantage but because they will be a stronger rocker arm. You'd need to make sure you got ones to fit your stock 3/8" rocker studs.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm thinking if oil was going past the rings the plugs would show it. If oil is coming from the top end, they wouldn't. JMO from years ago.

If oil was coming from the top end, where would it be coming from?? Valve stem seals?? Anyplace else??

Also on the rocker arm question, if one was cracked, bent or broken, wouldn't that affect engine performance?? Wouldn't you notice something wrong with the engine right away?? My engine runs strong. No misses. Pulls real well. Maybe I'm just too overly concerned about the smoke, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Maybe just sliding past the exhaust valve and getting burned in the exhaust. Shows as a puff of smoke after letting off the gas and then getting back on it. Engine is too new to be worried about it.

You're probably correct. Nothing I'm going to do about it right away. I'll just monitor it and move on from there, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I put the plugs back in earlier and went out for my daily ride. Have about 332 miles on the motor. I've wound it out before in 2nd and 3rd gear , but thought I'd give 1st a try also. I was on a little bit of a roll and nailed it. I thought I felt the tires break loose and the way I went. The car has some real nice power to it. Pulled well in all three gears. Now, if that little smoke would abate, I'd be a happy camper, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put the plugs back in earlier and went out for my daily ride. Have about 332 miles on the motor. I've wound it out before in 2nd and 3rd gear , but thought I'd give 1st a try also. I was on a little bit of a roll and nailed it. I thought I felt the tires break loose and the way I went. The car has some real nice power to it. Pulled well in all three gears. Now, if that little smoke would abate, I'd be a happy camper, Carmine.

What happened to 4th