Very light smoke still there

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the manifold was glass beaded or sand blasted without removing and cleaning then you should do it as soon as possible, like tomorrow. If it wasn't glass beaded or sand blasted then don't worry about it.

That wasn't done by me. Not sure what the previous owner did. I stripped the paint off, wire wheeled and sanded. Used a VHT paint. I had the manifold upside down, inverted, angled several times and didn't see anything fall out from the pan. Maybe I got lucky for a change, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That wasn't done by me. Not sure what the previous owner did. I stripped the paint off, wire wheeled and sanded. Used a VHT paint. I had the manifold upside down, inverted, angled several times and didn't see anything fall out from the pan. Maybe I got lucky for a change, Carmine.

Good, don't sweat it. Drive it, have a few beers. Don't get any tickets.:cheers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At about 1000 miles since the rebuild, it could also be that your rings finally seated.

Don

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
At about 1000 miles since the rebuild, it could also be that your rings finally seated.

Don

Yeah, going for a long ride tomorrow so I guess I'll see what happens smoke wise when I get back, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Enjoy the long ride, and thanks for the offline advice on my starter question.
My pleasure. I've received an enormous amount of help from members on this site, and its nice to reciprocate, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just returned from a 50 minute ride. Various speeds. Checked for any kind of smoke from the tailpipes; nothing. Not even a hint. They are also clean like I had left them. Have to conclude it was the oil drain passages that had been plugged; at least partially. A good learning experience for me, Carmine.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just returned from a 50 minute ride. Various speeds. Checked for any kind of smoke from the tailpipes; nothing. Not even a hint. They are also clean like I had left them. Have to conclude it was the oil drain passages that had been plugged; at least partially. A good learning experience for me, Carmine.
And your machinest...:doh This is a good example of using a machinset that is familiar with the W engine. Glad you resolved the issue Carmine.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

:appl:appl:appl:flag:pepper:bacon:happy:guitar

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
And your machinest...:doh This is a good example of using a machinset that is familiar with the W engine. Glad you resolved the issue Carmine.

I agree. Having a machinist familiar with the "W" engine is a big plus. I'm convinced that my machinist did everything that he thought was proper and correct, but we fell a little short. I think I previously mentioned that this was my 6th motor done by him. I would have him do another engine for me if the situation presented itself. I have a great deal of confidence in him. Hind sight being what it is, I guess it would never hurt, regardless of steaming and cleaning, to run something through the oil drains. I think he truly felt bad about this and he also learned something. Hopefully, others who also reads these threads, if not already knowing, will have learned something. I know I did, Carmine.