VFD, anyone have one? (building a 2 x 72 belt grinder)

bobs409

Administrator
I'm starting to put the pieces together to build a 2 x 72 belt grinder. (actually bought a set of plans for this build already)

I'm going with an Ironhorse 2HP 3 phase AC motor ($165 shipped) so I can have speed control but that needs a VFD. The plans use one that is quite expensive ($357 shipped) and I think I can do much better than that or at least I'm hoping I can. I already found one made by Delta for almost $100 cheaper! (both have a 2 year warranty)

Before I jump into this, I want to see if anyone uses one of these and can recommend a good name that I won't have to sell one of my cars to buy. lol

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Freak drives (varibale frequency drives) are the best way to run a 3 phase motor on single phase power but they are expensive! To bad I just retired last fall as a electrician or I probably could have scrounged you one up as we use to do upgrades quite often and came up with used ones, someone would always take them home. Make sure the drive you get is sized for the load you want to apply it to.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I'm starting to put the pieces together to build a 2 x 72 belt grinder. (actually bought a set of plans for this build already)

I'm going with an Ironhorse 2HP 3 phase AC motor ($165 shipped) so I can have speed control but that needs a VFD. The plans use one that is quite expensive ($357 shipped) and I think I can do much better than that or at least I'm hoping I can. I already found one made by Delta for almost $100 cheaper! (both have a 2 year warranty)

Before I jump into this, I want to see if anyone uses one of these and can recommend a good name that I won't have to sell one of my cars to buy. lol

Check out this one on automationdirect.com WEG CFW300A07P3S2NB20

This drive can operate in sensorless vector mode which provides much better torque regulation at low frequency compared to V/hz mode.
WEG is Brazilian company that manufactures motors, drives, soft starts, etc. Very high quality and are well represented in the US by distributors and WEG offices.

bobs409

Administrator
Check out this one on automationdirect.com WEG CFW300A07P3S2NB20

This drive can operate in sensorless vector mode which provides much better torque regulation at low frequency compared to V/hz mode.
WEG is Brazilian company that manufactures motors, drives, soft starts, etc. Very high quality and are well represented in the US by distributors and WEG offices.

Thanks Brodie. I found it, here's a direct link:
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...S2NB20&categoryId=0&TxnNumber=-1&searchqty=10

Believe it or not, that's the place I would be getting the motor from! :D It's here:
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...eneral_purpose/general_purpose/mtrp-002-3bd36

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Cool. I was not aware Automation Direct had their own line of motors. Almost certain to be Chinese. A Leeson or Baldor equivalent would probably be double that price.
I would have included a direct link, but I haven't mastered how to cut and paste from my Samsung tablet's browser.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I bought a VFD last year to use on my paint booth. I don't have 3 phase at the house so I replaced the 3 ph motor with a single phase 2 hp, it shuts off after about 15 minutes. I'm hoping to put the bigger 3ph back on and start it with the VFD. Like everything else, I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

bobs409

Administrator
Could use a little help with these wires!!!! :scared :shock2

I can normally find anything on the net but to save my life I can't find EXACTLY how to wire this dang motor! Even the online manuals for the VFD and motor are no help. (unless I'm just not seeing what I'm looking for) :alarmed

All the video's online show some metal connector bars inside the motor housing and it appears you bridge some wire together that way. Inside my housing all that's there are 9 wires. Labeled T1 thru T9. On the motor label, it shows the wires but it has both low voltage and high voltage. ?????

Here's the label. (taken from their website)

pl_mtrp0023bd36_01.jpg

On my VFD, it has PE, U, V & W for the terminals to motor.

Just to clarify, I'm running single phase 220 into the VFD and the motor is a 3 phase AC motor.

If any of this makes sense to anyone, let me know. :pray

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Connect the motor leads for low voltage. Then 1, 2 and 3 go to what are usually called "T" leads on the VFD.. It doesn't matter which is which. You can reverse motor rotation by swapping out any two leads.

bobs409

Administrator
Connect the motor leads for low voltage. Then 1, 2 and 3 go to what are usually called "T" leads on the VFD.. It doesn't matter which is which. You can reverse motor rotation by swapping out any two leads.
Okay, I looked up the manual. U, V, W are to be connected to 1,2,3 motor leads. PE is for a ground connection to the motor.

Thank you Brodie!!! :bow Just didn't want to blow this thing up. :shock2

Can't wait to take it for a test spin. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Okay, I looked up the manual. U, V, W are to be connected to 1,2,3 motor leads. PE is for a ground connection to the motor.

Better ask one more thing... On the motor tag above, what is the INS part of that? Do I just connect yellow, black and gray together?

bobs409

Administrator
I think I found the answer. Supposedly you do connect them together using the WYE configuration. Here is a pic:

images

I found a guy that wrote into a forum and said he only capped 4, 5 & 6 and was getting a very high amp draw. The replies indicated he needed to connect them as he only had 1/2 the windings connected.

bobs409

Administrator
It works!!! :happyNo smoke, not even a spark! :brush

Now I have to wait until the switches I ordered get here and build a schnazzy control center! VFD will go under the top shelf to keep it out of the dust and the controls on top at easy reach. :judges:

bobs409

Administrator
Got a silly question... Does this stay on all the time? I imagine it would have to so it keeps the settings but I never had one before so have to ask. :teehee