vibration around 60mph

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I haven't been driving my car much lately but we had great weather here this holiday weekend so I decided to take the car to my sister's for here annual BBQ. Got up to speed (around 60) and noticed a vibration...like a pulsing vibration. Didn't seem to be a wheel out of balance but more like an unbalanced driveshaft? I haven't had time to get under the car but could it be the center support bearing?:dunno

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
I agree. The drive shaft and related components would be the first thing I'd check at this point. The center support bearings are obviously known to fail, so check that and check all 3 universal joints while your at it.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't been driving my car much lately but we had great weather here this holiday weekend so I decided to take the car to my sister's for here annual BBQ. Got up to speed (around 60) and noticed a vibration...like a pulsing vibration. Didn't seem to be a wheel out of balance but more like an unbalanced driveshaft? I haven't had time to get under the car but could it be the center support bearing?:dunno

Yes it could be the center support bearing and also could be the drive line is out of sync.
Others will chime in,,

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, thanks guys. I'll hopefully start tearing into it AGAIN this coming weekend. This year has been nothing but wrench on it for hours to enjoy it for minutes. :roll

dgwar

Well Known Member
will it do it at the same rpm sitting still? I'm thinking a driveline vibration is most noticed around 45 MPH. you could put the rear on stands and get a friend to run it up to 60 while you watched the drive line. A drive line vibration is felt mostly in your feet and butt, also.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'd guess that its the Hanger bearing.

This bearing, as well as, a badly repaired driveshaft resulted in "bad vibrations" for my 62'. I used to replace the hanger bearing quite often and it was only a temporary fix with the factory-style replacement.

There are some threads on this forum which discuss the better "billet" replacement hanger bearing. However, if you go this route...you may also need to consider an aftermarket driveshaft....and then... "Forget about it". You shouldn't have a problem with these components again.

I will never use the factory hanger bearing again, since it is the weakest link regarding the two-piece driveshaft design for these cars.

Hope it all works out OK. :D

P.S. I had a wheel bearing give me some similar grief. You might want to check that out too.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
it definetely is a butt-felt vibration.....I really am thinking its the center support bearing. Could be a wheel bearing though I guess but I don't have ANY noise coming from anywhere near the wheels (that I can hear at least)