VIN not matching cowl?

heddrik

Well Known Member
Barry and I looked at a bubbletop conversion this weekend. Vin was 1511, cowl 1611. Oklahoma title from 1965 was never signed. Opinions please. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220911_113953.jpg
    20220911_113953.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220911_114036.jpg
    20220911_114036.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 44

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This has been discussed a few times.

Cowl tags for 61 and 62 showed the V8 but the VIN number is what the vehicle came with, 1511 6 cylinder Bel Air 2 door sedan and 1611 V8 Bel Air 2 door sedan.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Many many years ago, I came across a factory '62 Biscayne 2 dr. the trans was gone, the original 409 was still in it(it had a Grant Flame Thrower distributor in it, and I had it around for awhile, then right before getting married in 1977, somebody I won't mention from Long Beach,Ca. traded me some stuff for it, but I retained the paperwork until he finished paying it off. He never made good on the deal, but a couple years later he brought it to a 409 met we had down at Orange County. He was pretty careful about not letting me open the door and check it out, now I suspect I know why. He junked out a 62 Impala 2 door hardtop and did trade me the doors, hood, front fenders and the core support. I also think I got the deck lid. I passed these items along to other persons in the subsequent time span, and he even wanted to know if I wanted the frame. I passed on it, he said that they cut the body up and disposed of it. I suspect he registered the Impala, got a pink with his name on it, and swapped the VIN tags between the Impala and the Biscayne. It occurred to me that there is a possibility that he did that to get a pink for the Biscayne. If there is a 62 Biscayne out there someplace that came from Long Beach in the early-mid 1980's and the VIN number starts with 21847XXX it's probably formerly his and that's what he did with it. This guy died of natural causes some years ago, hopefully he took his bag of tricks with him. A good way to prove this would be to compare the cars cowl tag with the VIN tag and see if there is no matchup. Be careful with some of this stuff! If he switched the frame, the hidden VIN would match the one on the door post, making it a little harder to disprove his actions. We disowned this guy and distanced ourselves from him a long time ago for good cause.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here’s a better picture of the vin tag. I noticed the numbers are offset to the left of the letters. The numbers on my two Bel airs are centered under the letters.

Attachments

• CEC23CCB-A4FB-4B5E-B810-F460914B6F2D.jpeg
    CEC23CCB-A4FB-4B5E-B810-F460914B6F2D.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 22

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The cowl tag is correct because all cowl tags in 62 showed the V8 STYLE designation. The VIN is also correct for a 6 cylinder Belair 2-door sedan built in the 4th week of April 62 at Kansas City. These tags match, no problems and have not been changed out even though the car was converted to a bubbletop.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Im not telling you what to do but if you have the correct title and its not signed or dated, it would be when I took it in. Who knows if the name on the front is deceased or not, you could be opening up a real can of worms. Obviously the car is legit as you have both the car and title, just make sure the sale date is old and pay the penalties and don't look back. I had a title lying around for about 30 years for a car I bought, it was signed and dated and I took it in about 5 years ago and got one in my name. Now everything I own has a good MO title in my name, these cars are only parts cars if you don't have good paper on them.