VIN Removal help?

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I am going to have my 60 Impala Dustless Blasted tomorrow and thought I was ready to go. Going over final break downs, noticed my VIN tag has some rust up under it and would love to get it blasted under there so it want pop through after getting it painted. I know they are spot welded and I don't want to drill through them if I don't have to. I have read on several post how VIN tags have just fallen off. I would not be opposed to JB welding it back on or glueing, but just didn't want to damage it taking it off or have any red flags come up later about it's authenticity. Thanks

Brandon 348/320

Attachments

• IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 19

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I don't think I would worry about that small amount of rust, I would NOT remove that vin tag, it could cause you problems down the road if you ever sell the car.

bobs409

Administrator
Mine practically fell off due to rust blistering behind it. These are only lightly tack welded on. If you want to remove it, I'd try lightly prying it off. It shouldn't take much effort.

Going to JB mine back on after paint.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being only a light tack weld, you might be able to use a razor blade to separate it from the body. :dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have removed several and all you have to do is use a very thin putty knife and work it under the spot weld. you don't even need to pry it will come right off. When you put it back on use a auto body adhesive or 5200 marine adhesive then a piece of masking tape over the top to hold it in place. There are dimples in the door jamb where the spot welds are and the vin plate will fall right back into place. When you have it off you can polish it up as well. Also I would recommend removing your cowl tag on the firewall. You can buy the correct rivets on ebay. Once the body is primed you can put the cowl tag back on and then paint it with the firewall. Good Luck. I think i show it in this thread. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/started-on-the-bel-air.13956/

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Be careful and don't tear the spotwelds. You really don't want anything that looks like it has been removed or tampered with unless you enjoy anal exams from your state police and possible impounding of your vehicle until you can convince them it's not stolen.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Be careful and don't tear the spotwelds. You really don't want anything that looks like it has been removed or tampered with unless you enjoy anal exams from your state police and possible impounding of your vehicle until you can convince them it's not stolen.

i agree. ask your state police or dmv what to do. chances are you could do it and it will never be a issue. but if it
was me, something bad would happen. jmho jim

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Problem is most states don't allow any removal of the VIN tag. Some may allow it but only by an authorized agent or shop and only specifically for the purpose of repair.
Just don't do anything that will attract undue attention at a DMV inspection.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i agree. ask your state police or dmv what to do. chances are you could do it and it will never be a issue. but if it
was me, something bad would happen. jmho jim
That is the last thing you want to do...:no

bobs409

Administrator
Take a picture of it lying in the door jam. Say it fell off. :D These often fell off due to rust blistering or just the nature of how it was attached so I can't see anyone proving otherwise. Besides, I would have to think you have the title for this VIN and worse case the confidential VIN on the frame would prove your not a thief.

If you take a picture of yourself removing it, your admitting you broke the law and provided proof.

If I was a crook and wanted to change a cars VIN plate, I wouldn't bother messing with the tag or rivets if it has them. I'd just cut the metal a few inches around it and weld that panel into the "new" car. Presto. (not that I've ever done such a thing)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had to do it on my 55 Bel air convertible back in the 90's. The idiot I had replacing the floor decided to have the body dipped at RediStrip and removed the VIN and trim tags so the acid wouldn't destroy them, or so he said. He skipped town one night after stashing my convertible body on the rotisserie in another guys yard. He stole the compressor from the shop he was renting and dissappeared.
Fortunately, I was able to track down his ex-wife and retrieve the VIN tag, but the trim tag was long gone. After some detective work, I found the car, or what was left of it, and recovered it minus doors, trunk lid and front clip. I reattached the VIN tag with spot welding tongs filed down to a point to match the original spot welds. I practiced first with some old tags from a junk yard until I got it right then carefully hit them twice and nobody could ever tell.
Rivets are easier as you just drive out the pins, squeeze the bulb down on the back until the rivet comes out. Get a new pin from a pop rivet and reinstall. Only did that when replacing the rusty upper dash on my 68 Camaro. Certainly wouldn't do it to re-tag a car without one as that would be illegal.:deal

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Mine came off during media blasting, (had tape over it)used JB Weld, you can't tell it was ever removed.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tried to get it off with a putty knife bit wouldn't budge. Just decided to blast around it and then come back and hand sand up to it. BUT, now another problem. My blasting guy's helper blasted over the tag!!! When I saw it, I about croaked. PLEASE somebody make me feel good and tell me a can polish the shine back. It's dull just like blasted metal. I was thinking since its stainless I can polish back with a Dremel and some polishing wheels.

Brandon 348/320

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Tried to get it off with a putty knife bit wouldn't budge. Just decided to blast around it and then come back and hand sand up to it. BUT, now another problem. My blasting guy's helper blasted over the tag!!! When I saw it, I about croaked. PLEASE somebody make me feel good and tell me a can polish the shine back. It's dull just like blasted metal. I was thinking since its stainless I can polish back with a Dremel and some polishing wheels.

Brandon 348/320

:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:bat:bat:bat