VIN Removal help?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tried to get it off with a putty knife bit wouldn't budge. Just decided to blast around it and then come back and hand sand up to it. BUT, now another problem. My blasting guy's helper blasted over the tag!!! When I saw it, I about croaked. PLEASE somebody make me feel good and tell me a can polish the shine back. It's dull just like blasted metal. I was thinking since its stainless I can polish back with a Dremel and some polishing wheels.

Brandon 348/320
I know someone who drilled a whole through their trim tag on the firewall. :doh :oops

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Try some 00000 (4 0's may be the finest) steel wool. Check it on a small part first. That same guy used to work at a machine shop, removing #'s while decking blocks.
Don

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does that someone own a black 61? I DA'd half the numbers off the vin on a vega. Shite happens!
Sorry for the thread hi-jack. Yes:( I was mounting a little add-on fuse block and thought to myself before drilling: "Is there anything important on the other side of the floor/firewall right here? Master Cylinder, etc are higher. E-brake was long gone. Nope, can't think of anything in the way. :eek WRONG!!!!:bang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't feel too bad. That was also done by the Fisher Body Assembly Plants on 57 Chevys with A/C. The fast idle cable was directly behind the trim tag so they just dirilled a hole in it and ran the cable through. Later in the year they moved the trim tag to a position near the heater to fix the problem.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had one on a Chevy that got blasted, don't remember the year but I buffed the heck out if the tag with a buffer and got it to shine enough that it looked good.
I started with white paste polishing compond and then polish and then wax. All with a buffer multiple applications of the white paste compond -5 0r 6 times as I remember.
Paul