Vintage marine 409 twin turbo??

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
303, not telling you what to do, but seems ALOT of guys using the new Holley injection in boosted applications. Ya adapting a BBc kit does help and "should" be less fab, but for 5K you could get a a pretty good turbo set-up. I see about a 4000 "playing" budget difference with the turbo. But good luck BUT PLEASE watch the crank. Centrifugal blowers do get issues with the crank snout

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
303, not telling you what to do, but seems ALOT of guys using the new Holley injection in boosted applications. Ya adapting a BBc kit does help and "should" be less fab, but for 5K you could get a a pretty good turbo set-up. I see about a 4000 "playing" budget difference with the turbo. But good luck BUT PLEASE watch the crank. Centrifugal blowers do get issues with the crank snout
The main reason (for now) to use the Fast system is the most knowledgeable person I can find close by recommends it. I don't have my heart set on one computer system or another just yet.
Since I'm looking for a lot of fun power rather than trying to squeeze every last HP out of the system, I'm hoping either is just as good for my wants.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The cheaper part (in my expectation) is I'll be using their BB Chevy kit which should run about 4800 - 4900. I'm expecting there to be less custom fab. I'll probably be using FAST XFI to control the fuel injection and the coil packs I want to use.

No header or down-pipe fab required with the ProCharger, but you'll have to fabricate brackets and a pulley setup. I'd say that's a fairly even trade-off. Both would require custom intake piping and both should be intercooled, so that'd pretty much be a wash on fab and cost.

I'd probably piece together a head-unit and ancillaries instead of starting with a SBC or BBC kit and chucking the billet brackets.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Mike that's what I was getting at. Inter-cooler and intake piping, blow-offs etc are the same for both. So cost of Turbo and headers with "hot-side" plumbing might be cheaper then getting the 4700 BBc kit. I know you can get a GREAT BW turbo NEW for a grand, so that leaves about 3700 for the "hot-side".

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If he;'s only running about 8-10 psi,intercooling wont be a necessity.He could also incorporate a water-methonal system set to come on at over 5 psi as a detonation hedge and pick up a little more power in the processs.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The intercooler, brackets, carb hat, something for the AC option, fuel pressure regulator, remote reservoir for power steering and freight (really, 120 for shipping/freight???) are included in the $4700.

I'll probably have pics to show everyone in 9 - 12 months.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If he;'s only running about 8-10 psi,intercooling wont be a necessity.He could also incorporate a water-methonal system set to come on at over 5 psi as a detonation hedge and pick up a little more power in the processs.
One of the main reasons I've heard for inter-coolers for low levels of boost isn't for the denser air charge, rather to cool the incoming air so the oil on the cylinder walls doesn't burn off so easily. Supposed to help with ring life expectancy. If this is true, seems like cheap insurance compared to an engine rebuild.

I like the idea of the water-methanol system, especially for efficiency, but not sure I want to deal with the plumbing. Suppose I could always pre-drill the maninfold and plug off the holes so I don't have to take the manifold off later if I change my mind.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They make a plate that goes under the carb or throttle body,like s nitros plate ,that would work in your application,and greatly simplify things.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I doubt Mercury would be using Daytona engines. Anybody know for sure?
Daytona was the name of the manufacture that made the marine conversion. If Mercury used a 348 or 409 in that frame time it would have been a Mercury or Quicksilver conversion.

image005.jpg

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was talking to my brother "Blast boy" yesterday about a $300.00 USD LS engine from a junk yard that they ripped all the injection off and put a manifold, blow through carb, MSD and a turbo and got over 600HP.
It was only a 5.3 Litre engine
Would a non computer controlled blow through, turbo system be problematic on these old engines?

Steve

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nooooo. Blow through carbs are used all the time in boosted applications. I would suspect you'd need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and an ignition retard box to make it all work but should work great.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Ok I looked into the blow-thru stuff too. I think it would be fine? Just watch the boost and timing. Back in the late '90, we took a 1985 Mustang 5.0 Litre that had 360,000+ Km on it. Car was a TURD. WOULD NOT spin the tires in first unless your rev'ed it and dumped the clutch. So anyway, we took a old Paxton blower. Granitelli told us that they maybe about 5 lbs of boost. Put it on, made a sheetmetal hat and modified a Holley 650. Nothing else done. Car went like 12.40's.

Funny when we were at the track racing buddies Super Modified dragster, Granitelli's were there with the Paxton stuff. We asked "what would happen IF we made a 2.75 inch pulley for the blower?" They said IT WILL NOT WORK, YOU'LL BE SPINNING IT TOO FAST AND AFTER ABOUT 4000 RPM WILL NOT MAKE BOOST. Well that pulley has been on the car a month earlier and that how it ran the fastest. So sometime the manufacturers are NOT genesis either.

BTW, my buddy, who's 'owned BOTH the 85 GT and the dragster is pretty good with blowers. Seeing that he STILL has the worlds fastest SB Ford and has been that way for about 6/7 years. 375" Cleveland HE built in the shop HIMSELF. Car has run 3.70's in the 1/8 (about 5.70 in the 1/4). Funny, he keep telling me "the fuel pump keeps shutting off! So watch when your driving the car it just SHUT'S DOWN"! I asked how he wired it, and he said "TOO THE REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER". I said, THERE ON A TIMER YOU KNOW!!!! LOL Build killer fast stuff, but forgets some basic sometimes.