voltage regulator

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
My 58 voltage regulator makes a click sound when attaching the battery. The part itself is brand new and so is the horn relay. One thing i noticed is the horn relay will get warm after awhile. Any ideas what it can be it's got me stumped. Thanks Vin

ragtp66

Well Known Member
If the horn relay is getting hot your horn button/switch is probably grounding out the same as if someone was holding it on constantly. Try disconnecting the single wire connector on the steering column (green wire I think) that should let you know if that is your problem. The horn relay acts as a bus bar as well for the electrical system if pulling the horn wire does not stop the horn relay from getting warm, connect a test light between your negative battery post and the ground wire. Then one at a time start pulling fuses until the light goes out, when it does you found the circuit that is causing the draw. Remember to pull the fuse for the dome/courtesy lights or wedge something to keep the door jamb switch compressed.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If the horn relay is getting hot your horn button/switch is probably grounding out the same as if someone was holding it on constantly. Try disconnecting the single wire connector on the steering column (green wire I think) that should let you know if that is your problem. The horn relay acts as a bus bar as well for the electrical system if pulling the horn wire does not stop the horn relay from getting warm, connect a test light between your negative battery post and the ground wire. Then one at a time start pulling fuses until the light goes out, when it does you found the circuit that is causing the draw. Remember to pull the fuse for the dome/courtesy lights or wedge something to keep the door jamb switch compressed.
God, I love this site. Pat yourself on the back. Collectively we know everything.