Vortec spark plugs

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
For all you guys who think I haven't been doing anything but working, I'm getting closer to having "Maxine"my 72 Nova ready to go. I've had the always expected "mission creep", fixing the gas gauge turned into a new sender, which turned into a new tank, which turned into a new trunk floor, etc., etc.
Now I have the new engine in the car and will reseal the trans and put the shift kit in today and hopefully get the trans in today.
The question I have is what plugs should I run ? It's a 350, bored .040 with flat top pistons, Vortec heads, comp 270 cam, performer intake and 650 Holley with true dual 2 1/2" exhaust, stock distributor with Pertronix igniter. I almost always run old school stuff, so I have no idea about what the plugs would even be for this thing. I had the guys at work cut the valve seats and clean the heads up which took another .016" off them. They also repaired one with lock & stitch and a "bob".

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
For all you guys who think I haven't been doing anything but working, I'm getting closer to having "Maxine"my 72 Nova ready to go. I've had the always expected "mission creep", fixing the gas gauge turned into a new sender, which turned into a new tank, which turned into a new trunk floor, etc., etc.
Now I have the new engine in the car and will reseal the trans and put the shift kit in today and hopefully get the trans in today.
The question I have is what plugs should I run ? It's a 350, bored .040 with flat top pistons, Vortec heads, comp 270 cam, performer intake and 650 Holley with true dual 2 1/2" exhaust, stock distributor with Pertronix igniter. I almost always run old school stuff, so I have no idea about what the plugs would even be for this thing. I had the guys at work cut the valve seats and clean the heads up which took another .016" off them. They also repaired one with lock & stitch and a "bob".
Picture's.......:D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll venture to say that you're going to love this package.On your timing and Vortec heads,you'll want no more than 32-34 degrees total at full throttle.try to have it in by 2700 or so.At 32 degrees a flat top 35o,with a good quench area will like about 14-15 additional vacuum advance at a cruise.This thing is going to be VERY torquey from 2,200 up to 5500 rpm.These ARE the 96-later heads,right??????

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
They are the 906 castings, I don't remember the date codes but I think they were 99's. This is my first go round with vortecs, the gaskets and intake were a pain. The intake gasket alone was $50.
I'd take some pictures but the car is still a little rough. This is the first time I ever built one without doing any body or paint. I also changed it from manual to power steering with a 88 Monte Carlo SS box to get quicker ratio. I did that to the 67 Camaro a few years ago and it was the best thing I ever did to it. The next thing will be a big 'ol sway bar to replace the little spindly 5/8"

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok, a couple of pictures of Maxyne, our 72 Nova. I spent all weekend, yesterday and today getting it to where it will move under its own power. I had it ready at noon today and talked Deb into cranking it over so I could see when fuel got to the carb; it didn't. I took the mity-vac and sucked it up to the pump, then at the carb so the filter was full. I then pulled the #1 plug and laid it on the intake to make sure I had fire; I didn't. I had modified the original distributor with a pertronix kit and a new pertronix coil. The first suspect was that the kit wasn't done right, it was. I pulled out the distributor and went to the old garage and found a really nasty one, I took the points that came out of Maxynes distributor and put them in it and swapped distributors, still no spark on the #1 plug. I dug in the trash and found the original coil and put it on. I had Deb crank it and the thing started on 7 cylinders!. I guess the new blaster coil wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Anyway, it looks like hell and still needs a lot of tuning and TLC but I heard on the news that the 4th is the number one beer drinking day in the states, so I thought I would sit down and bore you guys while I drink.maxine 001.JPG maxine 003.JPG maxine 004.JPG maxine 006.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok, a couple of pictures of Maxyne, our 72 Nova. I spent all weekend, yesterday and today getting it to where it will move under its own power. I had it ready at noon today and talked Deb into cranking it over so I could see when fuel got to the carb; it didn't. I took the mity-vac and sucked it up to the pump, then at the carb so the filter was full. I then pulled the #1 plug and laid it on the intake to make sure I had fire; I didn't. I had modified the original distributor with a pertronix kit and a new pertronix coil. The first suspect was that the kit wasn't done right, it was. I pulled out the distributor and went to the old garage and found a really nasty one, I took the points that came out of Maxynes distributor and put them in it and swapped distributors, still no spark on the #1 plug. I dug in the trash and found the original coil and put it on. I had Deb crank it and the thing started on 7 cylinders!. I guess the new blaster coil wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Anyway, it looks like hell and still needs a lot of tuning and TLC but I heard on the news that the 4th is the number one beer drinking day in the states, so I thought I would sit down and bore you guys while I drink.View attachment 54370 View attachment 54371 View attachment 54372 View attachment 54373
What no pictures of you drinking beer, you are slipping Mearl

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok, I need you guys help again with Maxyne's motor. I've never run Holley carbs much, the Camaro has a 600 that I bought and bolted on and it's run fine for 10 years. I thought I'd run something a little different on Maxyne because a guy came up one Sunday afternoon and sold me a brand new 650 double pumper and air gap intake for $200, a couple of years ago.
Anyway, I'm trying to run the 650 right out of the box and it has a terrible bog. I've got the timing dialed in (I think) and I know the 2.73 gears aren't helping ( the 3.42 posi is sitting on the tire machine waiting for James to come down and set it up)
I need to know where to start tuning this Holley. If it was a Q-jet, I would know the problem was the accelerator pump but I know Holley's have unnamed parts that have to be rubbed just right at midnight with the water from a cypress stump during the dark of the moon.
You all know I can take advice and criticism, so send it over!

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It almost dies as soon as I step on it, It's a mechanical secondary and that seems to work fine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
With the engine off look down the carb and look for the accelerator pump squirt.
It needs to happen as soon as you move the throttle linkage.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Looks like it's getting a good pump shot, James. It squirted quite a bit.