Vortec spark plugs

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It is possible, you have a vacuum leak, under the carb, Mearl? I'm sure, you used a new gasket, but you never know. If you turn the mixture screws in, does the engine stall? :dunno
I don't think there's a leak because the mixture screws do exactly what the should. I tried a plastic spacer a couple of weeks ago and had a terrible vacuum leak so I went back to the soft one with steel backers.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
What is the list # on the carb?
I would stand by the engine and wack that throttle open...and if I seen flames coming up out of the carb I would put my hand over it and see if it helped....if so I would throw some jet at it....now that being said with a BP and the wrong gear and converter you my not be able to just mash it to the floor and not expect it to just take it.
Won't that burn my hand, James? Seriously, if I whack it open it dies but if I wiggle it and do it, it will backfire through the carb. I just want to get it running right in park before I put the the new 3.42's in.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Backfires will take out that power valve. This has been an issue awhile. I for one would like a comprehensive update about what you have going on with it now. Whats it doing now most importantly.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Do you have the correct coil for the pertronic ?
I didn't use the pertronic because the new coil I bought for it was bad. I have an Accel superstock coil on it now but I don't know if it will work with the pertronix. I also have a small cap HEI but I don't have room to mount the coil on the firewall and I don't want a 3 foot coil wire.
I talked to a friend yesterday who is going to give me some jets this morning, I'll try that today. Autozone and O'reillys both said they could tap on their computer and get me some in a few days.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It's been a while since I updated this. Last weekend my buddy from high school came over to help me with the Holley. He raced for years and now has some beautiful Chevelles. The weekend before, another friend had given me a couple of #73 jets, they helped a little but not enough. Ron adjusted the accelerator pump linkage ( or whatever it's called on a Holley), he said it was too tight and was causing the pump to not open up enough to get a full pump shot. Sure enough, it worked, no more dead spot other than the one caused by the 2.73 gears and stock converter; at least I know how to fix that!

wristpin

Well Known Member
It's been a while since I updated this. Last weekend my buddy from high school came over to help me with the Holley. He raced for years and now has some beautiful Chevelles. The weekend before, another friend had given me a couple of #73 jets, they helped a little but not enough. Ron adjusted the accelerator pump linkage ( or whatever it's called on a Holley), he said it was too tight and was causing the pump to not open up enough to get a full pump shot. Sure enough, it worked, no more dead spot other than the one caused by the 2.73 gears and stock converter; at least I know how to fix that!
Yeah i mentioned that accelerator pump clearance on July 23rd. Thats one of the biggest Holley issues.