w in 55-59 1/2 ton

mojo

Have 2 348s on garage floor, want to put one in 59 stepside . does anyone have good pics of install? should I consider frame swap or IFS with increased HP?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The photo is a '58 348/280 in a 57 4x4. I did this one in 1965, no longer have the pickup. Sorry it does not show you much about the install. I used 2 pedestal mounts in front. They may have been from the 235/6 that was in it. The left exhaust manifold touched the steering sector. I ground on it until it got so thin, I decided to grind it clear through, then welded a patch on the inside.

I currently have a 58 1 1/2 ton with a '65 409/400. I did this install in about 1970. The truck frames may be a little wider, not sure. I used the 65 exhaust manifold on the right, and a 64 409/340 exhaust manifold on the left to clear the steering sector. I used the truck horse shoe mount on the front. I could take pics of this one, but it is greasy and not much paint left after this many years of use.

Both w's replaced sixes, so bell housings/clutches had to be changed.
Ron

Attachments

• 348in57 4x4-2.jpg
    348in57 4x4-2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 127
Build a couple front brackets for the block, and it's a bolt-in:deal
Use the 6 cylinder position for the stands on the frame.

mytruckengmountfrt.jpg

mytruck59348topright.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought a 348 was an option on trucks (and a "truck" motor? So it would be a bolt in except for the frame mounts (and 6 cyl things that don't fit and 8)?

Just curious.

Don

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Don:

I think you had to go all the way up to the larger C50 or C60 series trucks before the 348s were available.

Rick

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don:

I think you had to go all the way up to the larger C50 or C60 series trucks before the 348s were available.

Rick

Or a C80 for the 409....:brow

Attachments

• C-80 Front.jpg
    C-80 Front.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 91
  • C-80 409.jpg
    C-80 409.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 95

gearhead409

Well Known Member
W engines in trucks

i don't know much about trucks but what is the deal on the W engines? my hollander book dosn't show a W engine in any truck below a C80.

mojo

whats th big deal?

The big deal is I have a truck with a deceased 6. I have a couple of 348s that have sat around for 20 or 30 years (thanks Dad). Why not a 348?

On a side thought, what vehicle(s) would I find a non-electric overdrive automatic? I will be going the route of either the single 4 or the tripower manifold. I would be willing to trade all other peices parts, block, heads, dual four intake with carbs, etc to someone who has the time and knowledge to rebuild one of these motors. any takers??? by the way I live just north of Syracuse, NY.

FARO72CS

Well Known Member
348's

I am currently putting a 348 in a 59 Apache, LMC Truck sells an engine mount so you can use the regular 348 engine mount thats on the engine, very simple installation, use block hugger headers. Chevrolet auctually put the 348's in pick-ups, i have personly seen one in a 1960 1/2 ton 2-wd( factory installation). I am
rebuilding one engine i have now, putting in a 409-crank. You could install a Nova
subframe with some welding, i am considering that. Chevy made the 348 till 1965
and offered some in pick-ups. I have 2-1965 348's at present. Good luck, have fun.
farotrek@msn.com:coffee: