W-motor builders in Midwest

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
W-engine builders in Midwest

Are there any respected W-motor builders in Iowa or one of the surrounding states? (MN, IL, MO, NE, SD, WI) I'm looking to have a stroked motor built this winter for an upcoming project.

Thanks.

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
W-Motor engine builder.

Tony Schaffer/Day Automotive located in Missouri, has built many w-motors. 816-461-7861.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tony is in Independence, Mo (Kansas City). His shop is about 20mins from my house. I have spoke with Tony S a couple of times and he builds a very nice w-block. His bother lives about a hour west and he has more parts than one person can ever imagine. Very nice people.
TomO

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't think show cars rebuilds the engines. I know for sure they farm out all the machine work and I think that place assembles them too. There is a very well respected machine and engine shop in Mankato, MN. TC Automotive (507) 388-3402 I don't know how far you want to travel but these guys will do it right.

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of the best of the best is Phast Phil Reed (Classic Motor Co. Inc.) of KC, MO. He's good people, been around longer than dirt and can be reached at (816) 587-1109 ;)

JIMJAMES

348-409 ENGINE REBUILDERS

SHOW CARS REBUILDS AND ASSEMBLES ENGINES THEY HAVE A MACHINE SHOP BUT DO FARM OUT SOME OF THE MACHINE WORK LIKE A LOT OF GOOD ENGINE REBUILDERS DO THEY ONLY WORK WITH W-ENGINES STOCK OR STROKER IN A KIT OR TURN KEY I HAVE A 409 474 STROKER

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am fairly sure that Phil sends his stuff to Tony S. Phil is another very good source for parts.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tom O is correct

Phil Reed of KC does send his "W" engine work to Tony Shafer's in Independence, MO. I have visited Tony's shop. Saw a Z-11 blcok and heads (he's done many over the years). This guy is good (but so is CPG).

I am but 2 hours away from him. Am using the local machine shop for general stuff, but am inclined to drop stuff off in Independence so Tony can take a look (I have some "problem" blocks I wish to resurrect). Word has it he is one of the best, and he certainly has lots of experience. I am told he is honest as the day is long....

Best of luck in your decision making.

Tom K
Columbia, MO

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a guy (Tom Sexton) Sexton Speed Automotive and Machine in Crystal Lake, IL ...but has since moved to upper WI. I have heard that he still/will occaisionally pick-up motors and rebuild them up there.;)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone do `09 work in Alberta?
I heard this guy there wears a 409 oil pan on his head to sleep !! heee heee
I`ll run one of his engines against anyone elses !!!!
Now if I just can get that stall higher,,,,,,,,dq

Thank YOU, DQ..... but I was just lucky on that one;) :p

Now..... my Stocker..... this thing's gonna learn'ya:D

BTW, Just got the approval on my "Stock" pistons from NHRA.... part number 77536
They should be here in about two weeks.