Wanted: 1963 Impala SS Radio Delete Plate

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello, rather than finding a radio for my 63, I think it would be cheaper to install a radio delete plate. I see some on ebay but they are painted for Biscayne. I need the chrome (aluminum) one that would go on a 63 SS. Thanks

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well you have another problem. The Biscayne/Belair radio delete plates are completely different then the Impala which is also different from the SS. You are looking for the SS plate which has the spun aluminum look going for it. Good luck, someone might have it but I'm sure there are far fewer of those than belair/biscayne/Impala. You will probably pay 3-5 times more or an SS radio delete plate.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You could always stick engine turned vinyl on a BelAir/Biscayne delete plate. Just a thought.
The way to go to get close to the original size and look of the machined panel. Buy a new SS tail panel around the tail lights and cut out the needed material to cover a Biscayne/Belair delete plate. Sometimes you must get crafty by destroying new parts to get what you need/want.

bobs409

Administrator
If I recall, word was that many times people would have the dealer install a radio after the fact so I'd bet there were many of these plates floating around the dealerships back in the day. Probably where that box of them came from. :D

My 63 still has it's original.

Last edited:

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I recently bought one for my 62 and as you know, ss and non-ss radio delete plates were engine turned. So when I needed one for my 63 I forgot that 63 SS only has engine turn. Well then does anyone have a complete 63 radio they can sell me for a quick hundred. I would need the knobs too

Junky

Well Known Member
I have an AM-FM that I bought a couple of decades ago, on the anticipation of buying another '64, but never got around to finding the one that I wanted. It doesn't have the correct speaker, but it has a speaker that was modified to work with the radio. Once it is installed I doubt that anyone is going to go looking under the dash. It has the knobs with it.. Had it rebuilt by Seckman in Ohio, since he was a vendor at the Carlisle swap meet fixing them on the spot. I am open to offers.. Junk