warning for those using tripower set ups

decofred

I thought I would post this with the hope of helping others out there avoid the costly mistake I made with my insistance to use a tripower set up that was on my 1959 impala 348 when I purchased it at auction a number of years ago. The car had a rochester three deuce set up which was not of the period and not original to the car. I noticed the car was running very rich and had these carbuerators rebuilt three times...literally...along with replacing the throttle bodies and linkage with kits commonly sold on the internet. The car was an original tripower car, but again did not have the original set up on it and I could not find an original set up to use, so I tried to perfect what I had...which was a mistake. To make a long story short, I continued to drive the car with the three deuce set up for years and continued to experience performance problems, fuel issues....and then finally decided a year ago to switch over to an edlebrock manifold and 4 barrel carb....it killed me to do it but I gave in because I wanted to drive the car, which again other than the carbs, was 100% original. Once I switched over the car drive beautifully...but apparently the damage was already done, unbeknowst to me. This past year in april I was driving the car and I literally burned through four quarts of oil during a 1.5 hour drive, it was not leaking...it was being burned. I brought the car to my mechanic and I had very low compression especially on number 1-2 cylinders. I had the motor pulled and taken apart and found that it had been recently rebuilt just before I bought it and in fact had very low mileage since the rebuild. There were extensive carbon deposits on the pistons, chrome rings.....and some minor wear....with the crankshaft needing to be replaced due to wear on one of the lobes. The diagnosis and findings determined the carbs were flooding and washing down the cylinder walls and essentially and obviously removing the lubricating properties of the oil, causing the engine issues and excessive oil consumption. The moral of the story is the fuel issues can really damage and ultimately destroy a perfectly good engine. Luckily for me I did not drive the car extensively, so the motor was very easy to rebuild and still in fairly good shape, but it could have been a lot worse. I would recommend simply avoiding the tripower set ups if you are not professionally judging and showing the car, because they really are problematic, even the factory original ones. I have a factory original set up now....and the original tri power manifold which I will keep with the car, but will keep my edelbrock setup on it which I have hidden with an original factory 4 bbl aircleaner....lucky for me the car was also sold with a four barrel so it has some correctness to it....lesson learned.59 impala side.JPG

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your engine. What is disturbing is the fact you could not find a competent mechanic to properly set up your three two setup to the point that you had them removed. I have set up and modified the Rochester 2G carbs to a high state of performance. There is no VooDoo involved. The hobby is losing its technitions because guys like me are getting old. There are still a few young guys that have been tutored by dad or grandad that can get the job done but are few in number. It would have been interesting to me to have rebuilt your carbs just to find out what went wrong. Oh yeah by the way, your car is beautiful, actually graceful

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are a few threads on the site which identify proper tuning of the 3x2 setup.
I could try to summarize what is needed, but I wont' get it correct enough.
If you'd like to use the original setup, which is rarely seen, do the search through the site and then enjoy the hell out of the car!
Whatever work has been done, looks like it is well worth it, its a damn nice car!

BTW, is that 3rd brake light on top?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is a beautiful 59. As to the 3x2 setup it is a very easy setup. All it is, is a 2gc primary with 2 more 2gc as secondaries. It realy isn't much different then just running a single 2-barrel.

No409

Supporting Member 1
I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your engine. What is disturbing is the fact you could not find a competent mechanic to properly set up your three two setup to the point that you had them removed. I have set up and modified the Rochester 2G carbs to a high state of performance. There is no VooDoo involved. The hobby is losing its technitions because guys like me are getting old. There are still a few young guys that have been tutored by dad or grandad that can get the job done but are few in number. It would have been interesting to me to have rebuilt your carbs just to find out what went wrong. Oh yeah by the way, your car is beautiful, actually graceful
im one of the only guys that will work on a carb in my area, and i consider myself young for that( been doing it for almost 20 yrs) im 37. we just did a tri power setup on a customers 67 nova, really simple, og carbs, old school intake, etc. I would rather work on that all day long than the newer electronic problems, or rotted junk we see everyday at my shop. Beautiful 59 BTW!

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I'm 40 and have been rebuilding carburetors for 25 years now. I never understood what the problem is in getting a factory 3x2 system functioning properly. Rebuild the carbs correctly and you should be fine. I can only guess that your car was running rich to compensate for the air leak around the throttle valves of the secondary carbs. This is the hardest part of getting a properly-running 3x2 system - those end carbs' throttle valves must seal as perfectly as possible so that they are not leaking air at idle. If you were using progressive linkage, it's best to use the factory front-to-rear carb linkage

decofred

thank you all for your comments and the compliments about the car, I appreciate it. In response to a few members regarding the carbs, the truth is that I am not mechanically inclined, so I have to hire others to do my mechanical work for me, which is the case with many guys in the collector car hobby. I am 54 years old and just got into the collector car hobby in my thirties and then never had time to really get educated in mechanics. my closest friend is a mechanic for forty years, but there is only so much I can learn from him. Unfortunately there are many people out there that hold themselves out as competent classic car mechanics, when the truth is that it is harder and harder to find mechanics that really understand and can work on the old cars, including a three duece set up. Yes there are books and manuals out there that explain the set up and procedure for rebuilding them, but again you have to have experience to even read the literature and comprehend it. My post was for hobbyists out there that possibly do not fully understand how internally leaking rich carbs can really cause major problems. I am a purist car wise, so I want everything original...and it took me time to except that sometimes its ok to use modern technology in an old car (like a modern day four barrel carbuertor) for the sake of getting the driveability out of it. For me the passion is the smell, the feel of my old cars and the experience of actually driving a piece of american history down the road, and experiencing what it was like to drive a car from 1959. I can tell you that I have kept the original three deuce set up that I uncovered in a flea market a few years ago, and I will one day restore it properly and bring the car back to how it was once sold and driven in 1959....but will probably drive the car with my new motor for a few more years before I do it. In response to member 303radar....the top roof molding is actually just chrome trim/decoration....which was actually moved to the bottom of the rear window in 1960....but I have always wondered whether it was Harley Earl's vision of what would become the third brake light in modern day vehicles.

decofred

see below pictures of old 348 motor coming out and progress on rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 56

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thank you all for your comments and the compliments about the car, I appreciate it. In response to a few members regarding the carbs, the truth is that I am not mechanically inclined, so I have to hire others to do my mechanical work for me, which is the case with many guys in the collector car hobby. I am 54 years old and just got into the collector car hobby in my thirties and then never had time to really get educated in mechanics. my closest friend is a mechanic for forty years, but there is only so much I can learn from him. Unfortunately there are many people out there that hold themselves out as competent classic car mechanics, when the truth is that it is harder and harder to find mechanics that really understand and can work on the old cars, including a three duece set up. Yes there are books and manuals out there that explain the set up and procedure for rebuilding them, but again you have to have experience to even read the literature and comprehend it. My post was for hobbyists out there that possibly do not fully understand how internally leaking rich carbs can really cause major problems. I am a purist car wise, so I want everything original...and it took me time to except that sometimes its ok to use modern technology in an old car (like a modern day four barrel carbuertor) for the sake of getting the driveability out of it. For me the passion is the smell, the feel of my old cars and the experience of actually driving a piece of american history down the road, and experiencing what it was like to drive a car from 1959. I can tell you that I have kept the original three deuce set up that I uncovered in a flea market a few years ago, and I will one day restore it properly and bring the car back to how it was once sold and driven in 1959....but will probably drive the car with my new motor for a few more years before I do it. In response to member 303radar....the top roof molding is actually just chrome trim/decoration....which was actually moved to the bottom of the rear window in 1960....but I have always wondered whether it was Harley Earl's vision of what would become the third brake light in modern day vehicles.

I think there are a few really good carb guys on this site who would like to get there hands on your carbs.
With any luck one of them lives close to you and maybe you can work something out and put your car
back on the road the way it was suppose to be. 3x2's are freaking beautiful! :good
Your car is sweet!!

31 chevy moon pics 004.JPG

decofred

thank you really appreciate that, would assume that is your roadster...also a beauty, I have something similar as well.

decofred

thought some of you would get a kick out of this....pictures of my 59 on the set of discovery channel's ...investigative discovery...it was an episode about two twin brothers and one ultimately winds up killing the other. I was approached by the director of the series one day as I was hanging out at a local car show and asked if he could use the car in the episode....I was on location all day.....no I did not get "big bucks" .....a tuna salad sandwhich and 70.00 for gas.....The episode was shot on location in downtown alexandria virginia. It was funny because the main actor who you see in the clips could not drive a four speed so they put me in as his body double....you see the back of my head in the episode as I drive away with the actress.....i kept screaming to my friends....thats me!!!....look its the back of my head!!! .....hey...it was my claim to fame.....in the tv world. The last clip is me gettread game impala pictures 135.jpg game impala pictures 160.jpg game impala pictures 075.jpg game impala pictures 054.jpg game impala pictures 045.jpg game impala pictures 065.jpg