Was a hypothetical engine build.......................now a reality!!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok guys, just for fun.:brow
What do you think, N/A HP, ET and MPH would be in a 3900lb 62 street/strip Bubbletop?

Car
. Street/strip 3900lb race weight
. Standard gear ratio, trans brake TH400
. 8" ATI tree master 5000rpm stall convertor
. 4.1 rear gear
. 30" tall M/T radial or 29 1/2" tall Hoosier radial

Engine
. Carl McQuillen built, World 540 inch block
. 12.1 comp
. Fully ported, CNC Edelbrock heads, flow approx 345 cfm @ around .700" lift
. McQuillen new 2 x 4 intake
. 2 x 850 Holley HP carbs
. Huge custom ground hydraulic roller, lets say approx .700" lift with 260 @ .50" duration, 110 LSA.
. 2" Stahl headers

Thoughts?:rub:):beer2

Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know anything Carl but I can't wait for answers.
With the world blocks are they the same angles as a 409 but they take BBC cranks etc and can have a larger bore and stroke?
Steve
Me too Steve:D. The deck height is taller than standard 409 and the block has been machined to accommodate standard 409 intakes and heads from what I understand.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was thinking very low 10's or high 9's. That's a lot of engine may as well go with the z12 heads and intake and go all in they're flowing over 400 I believe Brian knows more on that. What does your white car weigh Brian?

427John

Well Known Member
Me too Steve:D. The deck height is taller than standard 409 and the block has been machined to accommodate standard 409 intakes and heads from what I understand.
I would think it would have to be pretty close to standard deck height to accommodate standard heads and intake unless they did something crazy like shifting the head inboard on the deck surface.A set of intake spacers would accommodate a higher deck block though,especially a Z-11 type setup with its separate valley cover.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Regarding heads, I would check into Bob Walla's for sure. Not that I've heard of a lot of difference in performance between his and Edelbrock's, but several folks have had problems with valve geometry and some of the supporting hardware.
I know their newer castings are supposed to be better than the old castings, but it is worth taking a look into, especially for something which is going to be beat on.