water wonderland 58 belair

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Hello from Michigan. I've been checking this sight out since 04, the year my wife and i bought our Bel. We thought it was the coolest thing when we found a 58 with a w block! We always sing that song 409 and replace it with 348. I have been an avid car guy for a while. After we got married we agreed to get a 58. 57s were to common. We came across this 58 2 dr sedan that was rough inside and out. The guy rebuilt the I6 and brakes so it was very drivable but rough looking. I still have video of it. We took the most awesome and memorable ride i had ever had. I left with out making an offer. 2 weeks later while checking out some Caddies in the UP I was reminising about that ride. When we got home after our vacation I called to make an offer. It was gone!!!!! I was hot and mad. I intensified my hunt for another 58. Well I found this guy selling the 58 2 dr hardtop with a wblock and powerglide down in Ft Wayne, IN. The price was low. Not much higher than the rough 58. I borrowed My Fathers in-laws truck and a Buds trailer. Nic 2strock hydraulic tilt. We headed down. Checked her out and did n't even bother talking him down. Its been fun ever since. The most important upgrade i gave her was a seat belt for my boys baby seat. We have a 2 year old Mic that loves sitting in it going for rides. We get done cruising and he don't want a leave. I don't plan on racing her I want her running good and reliable for family events. I plan on giving her some xtra go some time but nothing radical. Shes more for show and awesome cruises.

sorry it took so long to say hi. Thanks for all the help you guys have been and all the input you have given me.

Norm

starsailing1

Supporting Member 1
Hey Norm, I've been eyeballing that photo of your Bel Air Hdtp. Looks great. I had one back in the early 80's that I sold to pay for buying new house. The only thing wrong with it was the blue back seat had a tear across it. While at a local junkyard my daughter saw another one sitting with ratty looking rolled and tucked back interior that was cracked and peeling up. Asked me what would be under the bad white tuck, so I said peel it off and see. She did and sure enough, there was a brand new original blue cover underneath the rolled and tuck. Bought the top and bottom back seat and she brought it home and removed the old cover. She helped put it in. Because she helped work on the car she hated to see it go. I can't say enough how much fun it was to take the kids to the junk yards. More fun than driving the 58s. Before you know it, that little one in the back seat will be asking for the keys to it. That's another story, watching them drive away for the first time w/out you in it.
Dave

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Hey Norm, I've been eyeballing that photo of your Bel Air Hdtp. Looks great. I had one back in the early 80's that I sold to pay for buying new house. The only thing wrong with it was the blue back seat had a tear across it. While at a local junkyard my daughter saw another one sitting with ratty looking rolled and tucked back interior that was cracked and peeling up. Asked me what would be under the bad white tuck, so I said peel it off and see. She did and sure enough, there was a brand new original blue cover underneath the rolled and tuck. Bought the top and bottom back seat and she brought it home and removed the old cover. She helped put it in. Because she helped work on the car she hated to see it go. I can't say enough how much fun it was to take the kids to the junk yards. More fun than driving the 58s. Before you know it, that little one in the back seat will be asking for the keys to it. That's another story, watching them drive away for the first time w/out you in it.
Dave

It's fun you mention keys. He calls bell "Blue Car" He can pick the keys to the car out of a pile of keys. He has already identified the ingnition key!!!! He digs the Bel. He's awesome! The other day we went for a cruise, got home, turned the care and unbuckled him. I said "time to go in the house, ride over" He goes "Noooo" he then gets out of the car seat and sit on the back seat and plays with the window crank. It dawned on me. Its the only car in the fleet with cranks! He thinks there cool. We regularly sit in the car for a spell after a cruise. He alsol digs the glass packs. He goes vroom vroom.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Norm,it's nice to Welcome a fellow Michigander :cheers

You're un GR!!!! man you're close. I have spent lots of time up there at Devos and Mary's Free Bed hospital. My son was diagnosed with hip displasia at 9months old. They have done wonders. He's improve lots. I dig Rosies!!!!! Have you been there?? Go there much? There is some awful crazy road work going on there!

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I just noticed you are in St. Joseph. My wife's grandparents settled there when they immigrated in the late 19teens and lived there until they passed. The last name was Kubizna. I believe she still has some cousins in the area.