Weatherstripping

TIREDIRN

Well Known Member
Looking to buy some weatherstripping for my 61 impala sedan!

Just wondering from your experience, which company is the best to deal with.

Thanks
Gary

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have used Soft Seal weatherstriping on a number of restorations of my 62's and friends 62's.
The fit has always been great compared to the originals.
I just used some non soft seal weatherstrip for a pair of vent windows and I did not like the quality and fit.
I should have bought Soft Seal.
Paul

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Looking to buy some weatherstripping for my 61 impala sedan!

Just wondering from your experience, which company is the best to deal with.

Thanks
Gary

Why don't you guys get your stuff from Phil Reed. I have got 98% of all my rubber products and interrior from Phil for my 59 Impala. Great quality and good prices and you know who you are dealing with. Also got rear roll up glass from Phil.:)

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Why don't you guys get your stuff from Phil Reed. I have got 98% of all my rubber products and interrior from Phil for my 59 Impala. Great quality and good prices and you know who you are dealing with. Also got rear roll up glass from Phil.:)

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Hi I'm Steve I've got a 1958 Impala that needs a complete weatherstrip kit. What brand does Phil sell? Fargo Automotive, Soff Seal or Steele Rubber Products?

Hi Gary, what weatherstrip kit did you decide?

TIREDIRN

Well Known Member
Steve, I believe Phil sells soft seal and metro. If you PM him or call 816-587-1109, he can answer all your questions.
Since my impala is a sedan, it's a little harder finding some stuff, so Phil wasn't able to help me.

I haven't bought anything yet, but it looks like Hubbard's has everything I need, but not sure what brand they sell and their shipping
seems awful high (to Canada)!

Hope this helps!
Gary

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Tiredirn........I buy just about all my stuff from Phil....:eek
and he sends it to Canada via USPS (at my request) and never
a problem or high cost......(recent $66. order was $4.15 shipping):D
I usually only pay HST on orders over $100 but sometimes not.

As everyone says....buy from Phil, you know who you are dealing with
and he gives great advise (plz don't tell him I said that....:doh)

:cheers
bj

TIREDIRN

Well Known Member
bj, I will order some stuff from Phil.
For some reason he couldn't get me some of the weatherstripping that I needed for my 61 impala sedan!
Gary

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
bj, I will order some stuff from Phil.
For some reason he couldn't get me some of the weatherstripping that I needed for my 61 impala sedan!
Gary
The less adhesive you can use between the back of the seal and the car door surface will be best. I learned a valuable lesson recently in that
if you use a lot of adhesive it will not let the weatherstrip compress as designed and closing, fitting door, trunk etc will suffer for it.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
While we're on the topic of weatherstripping, does anyone have any advice for taking the rubber piece between the side and back seat window? It's just a 10-12" piece but mine must be really in there. Should this piece simply "pull down" in order to remove? Any thoughts on a lubricant to use to aid in removal?

61BISCAYNE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Impala Steve, I am not 100% positive that I bought my windshield and back glass weatherstrip from the truckandcarshop. It's been several years back and my memory fails me...I bought from several of different companies. But they most always had the best prices. I am sure it was Steel Rubber brand. You might give them a call to see which brand they carry. I bought my sideglass weatherstripping and felts from a late member of our forum. It was Soft Seal. I was well pleased with the quality and fit of all pieces, and five years later they are all still in great shape. Of course, my car is garaged 95% of the time. Hope this helps.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, I appreciate all your input. I've decided to go with Auto City Classic to buy my weatherstripping-I believe they told me it was Soffseal brand. I'll let you know how it turns out.