Welcome to the new racing forum

bobs409

Administrator
Following a suggestion of a fellow member, we will now have this seperate forum for discussing the good old days and to post your vintage pics of the day. Of course, this will also include any racing done today.

As you will have noticed, I went through the forum and moved any/all racing related posts over. If I missed any posts you feel should be here, just let me know.

Ok, line 'em up! :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Shoot Bob,,,,,,I looked all over the place the other night for the Hayden post,,,,,!!!! Took two days to find the new forum,,,,

Yeh,,,,I trip over the cracks in the hardwood floors too !!! Lol
Guess I should look down more offten,,,,,

bobs409

Administrator
That's part of the reason for this forum, so these posts don't get buried in the shuffle! :D

Don't forget the search feature next time your lost... :p :stooges

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A year and a half with no racing posts? Am I missing something? I know a lot of guys race so where are the results? Just got home, 1;00 a.m.---Lost a double breakout in the fourth round. .0012 loss. Hurts!!!!!! 30 lbs ballast in trunk,,short shifted at 6,000 for consistancy. Still using single "little" 750 Holley. Planned on switching to 1050 Dominator this week , but didnt have time to dial in. Dialed 6.57 ran 6.56 in the eight. Hope Tony Salins does better tonght.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
First time out

This weekend was the first time out this year. New slicks, new custume headers, Eagle big block h-beam rods for strength, J E forged pistons also for strength and a C & R aluminim radiator were the only changes to the car. Last year's best 9.82 @131 mph. This year so far the best is 9.67 @ 135.39 mph.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
first time out

The emgine is a 1964 passenger car block "30" over and stock 409 crank with a Z 11 solid lifter cam and a stock 400 hp single 4 intake. The carb is a 750 cfm Quick Fuel. A MSD Pro-Billet distributor and 7al2 box. The heads are 583's. It is in my 186" rear engine dragster.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
409 wins!!!!!!!!!!! The Taylor and Russell Racing 409 Chevy II Nova wins Top E.T. at Redline Raceway just outside of Dallas last Friday night. Also runnered-up in Quick(Texas Two Step) You can view car in winners circle at www.redlineraceway.com Click on Winners. Barry Taylor (black shirt) Ronnie Russell ( big , fat, old man in light blue shirt) Click on picture for better view of car. Texas Two Step picture is better picture of car, however it is an old "file" picture(old hood scoop) Roughly 40 years after the last 409 was manufactered, 409s are still winning. That is one fine dump-truck motor.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
409 wins

Ronnie,

The chevy II looks great. How did you get a "W" in it?? :dunno Can you post a picture of the engine compartment? Oh yea congrats on your win too. :cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No racing tonight for the 409 Chevy II. Car slowed .03 on last run last week. That never happens. Barry pulled trans. pan for service and found lots of metal. Converter will have to go back to builder, trans. to be rebuilt. Down for 2 to 3 weeks. Now, what to do on Friday night? Good luck to you racers this weekend.

ww19581965

Well Known Member
Belated Congrats To Russell And Taylor!!

Better Late Than Never!! Congratulations On The Big 409 Win In Texas!! We Need
More Unique Cars Like Yours To Run At ESTA Safety Park Drag Strip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
409 In An Early Chevy II; Very Interesting Race Car, And, Great Looking, Too; It
Reminds Me Of The Mid-60s-When Alot Of 409's Were Transplanted Into Chevy IIs.
I Hope You Get Your Car Back Together Soon, And, Start Winning Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards:"ww".

lone 09er

Well Known Member
I would like to know who has the fastest 409 stock stroke drag car " no BS " in the country and Canada?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Either Denny or Aubrey.
Maybe we could get them to match race somewhere next year??????

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
lone 09er,,,,, It is an interesting question. Do I sense an upcoming challenge from you? Everyone needs a goal.

At the moment, yes, it's me, having gone 11.06 @ 122.74. Howver, my car fits "naturally" into C Stock, on an 11.35 Index,
Denny's car is prepared better, and works better, I'm sure having added a bit of strategic ballast, to be optimum for D Stock, so he runs on an 11.50 Index.
At equal race weights ( both cars in D ), it would be VERY close.

But that's NHRA / IHRA legal Stock Eliminator cars.
There are WAY faster stock stroke 409 cars.

lone 09er

Well Known Member
My car is a 55 chevy that will weigh about 3200lbs, In a s10 truck my engine ran 10.64 twenty years ago at 3000lbs. But since I've added BWR heads Tim Johnson sheet metal intake, and a roller cam, hoping to run some 10.50s? Aubrey looking forward to the speed port 7000. First time out will be this mouth on the 28th. I'll let everyone know.

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
I run a 61 Bel Air stock stroke(3.515) engine. The engine was built several years ago
to run IHRA G stock. 422 cu. in., single 4 barrel, 11:1 comp., .439 lift camshaft, unmodified 583
cyl. heads, stock assembly weight, 5/64 rings. The car weighs 3750 w/driver, stock front and
rear suspension, aftermarket control arms in rear, 4-speed Jerico. The best run was 11.49/114 mph.

A few years ago I joined the Nostalgia Super Stock group in which you must run two fours or
three twos. I replaced the .439 cam with a small mechanical roller, changed the valve springs
and retainers, installed a out of the box Edelbrock intake w/original Chevy Carter AFB carbs.

Earlier this year I ran a best of 10.60/125+ at Union Grove, WI. I think the car will run 10.50
with some other changes.

Stock stroke 409's can run quite well!

Gerry