welding body mounts

zootzee

Well Known Member
OK I am just about ready to weld the new body mounts on the rear. The problem is that I am not sure how to do this properly. Should I torque the bolts to specs then weld the mounts where they lye? Or is there a better way?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I would find someone who has the body off their car and get the proper measurements. If you don't get the right height nothing else will fit right. The way you suggest will work but you may end up shimming the mounts so the rest of the appoinments like bumpers fenders etc. will fit correctly.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It sounds like you maybe way beyond this point but this is how I did it:

Before I cut out any rusted metla I measured from the body mount up to the brace itself. Then I spaced it up and then I clamped it to the piece of steel that covers the brace. I plug-welded the brace to the cover and then placed the assembly up to the vertical part of the trunk floor and plug-welded it to that. ( 5 plug welds in an X pattern) Then I welded that assembly to the inner wheel house.

Hope this helps!

Ross

zootzee

Well Known Member
Thanks, but the old mounts were pretty much gone. Even if were there I'm more of a cut twice measure once guy. I have to fix that.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is an article in the March '09 Chevy Classics magazine on this process. You can subscribe to it from lategreatchevy.com