Welding helmets, what's good?

bobs409

Administrator
Thought I'd go scouting for a good helmet online but again, I'm bleary eyed from all the choices. I've come to the conclusion that it's IMPOSSIBLE to pick just 1 out.

If you search for helmet reviews, you can't be sure if they are real first of all. There are tons of reviews and you don't know who is actually behind them. Secondly, if you read reviews on places like ebay or Amazon, you'll get every possible combination of good-bad on each one! Reviews are a joke! Even there, can you trust them. If I was the maker of a particular brand, what's to stop me from paying people to post good reviews?

So then there is HOW to choose. There are tons of options and prices are ALL over the place!!!! After seeing so many in the $125-200 range, I feel like I'm doing wrong looking at one that might be $65.99. ACK!!!!!!!

I think I want: 4 arc sensors, changeable battery & solar power to keep them charged, a larger than normal viewing area would be nice as well as true color. I'd also like the ability to add a cheater lens. (many do not have that!) Grind mode is not important to me but low amp tig use is prefered.

What is scaring me is I'm reading many reviews about people getting flashed just as I was with the one from Eastwood. These are even brands like Lincoln! WTF!?!

I guess my only choice is to hopefully buy locally or one with free shipping and free returns! If it does not perform, send it back and try the next one...

My Tractor supply is shitty so they will probably have 1 or 2 to choose from and be WAY over priced like most of their stuff. Same choices with Lowes or Home depot most likely. These places CAN order others in though.

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thought I'd go scouting for a good helmet online but again, I'm bleary eyed from all the choices. I've come to the conclusion that it's IMPOSSIBLE to pick just 1 out.

If you search for helmet reviews, you can't be sure if they are real first of all. There are tons of reviews and you don't know who is actually behind them. Secondly, if you read reviews on places like ebay or Amazon, you'll get every possible combination of good-bad on each one! Reviews are a joke! Even there, can you trust them. If I was the maker of a particular brand, what's to stop me from paying people to post good reviews?

So then there is HOW to choose. There are tons of options and prices are ALL over the place!!!! After seeing so many in the $125-200 range, I feel like I'm doing wrong looking at one that might be $65.99. ACK!!!!!!!

I think I want: 4 arc sensors, changeable battery & solar power to keep them charged, a larger than normal viewing area would be nice as well as true color. I'd also like the ability to add a cheater lens. (many do not have that!) Grind mode is not important to me but low amp tig use is prefered.

What is scaring me is I'm reading many reviews about people getting flashed just as I was with the one from Eastwood. These are even brands like Lincoln! WTF!?!

I guess my only choice is to hopefully buy locally or one with free shipping and free returns! If it does not perform, send it back and try the next one...

My Tractor supply is shitty so they will probably have 1 or 2 to choose from and be WAY over priced like most of their stuff. Same choices with Lowes or Home depot most likely. These places CAN order others in though.

I know that at the swap meets around here.... we have one coming up again at the end of this month ......they have welding vendors and you can try their equipment......

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob many of your comments I whole heartedly agree with. Why wouldn't a manufacturer pay people to write good reviews. It is in their best interest and is just another part of the advertising budget for that product. Then you get the people who complain just to complain. So it gets complicated. For me, some, and I mean some of the best advice comes from friends, family, and aquaintances that have, and are actually using a product. Then maybe they let you try it out for yourself. This is just one reason why I have never liked what they called mail order or catalog shopping back in the day, or online shopping now. That is unless I know exactly what I am buying.

Clint

Well Known Member

Get a Jackson brand.... you will not be disappointed.

blkss64

Well Known Member

Hello Bob, Do you have a welding or fabrication business near you? There is a custom welding and fabrication shop that I use and he is more than willing to help me with anything I ever need and will freely give advice. Might be worth a try? Jon