Welding helmets, what's good?

bobs409

Administrator
I think I'm going to upgrade from my $39.99 Harbor Freight welding helmet. I had to replace one battery twice now and with the new Tig welder, I'm not sure if it's me but my eyes feel a little funny after using it. (could be all in my mind too) Since I only have 2 eyes, thought it might be a good idea to look into this anyway.

I've been looking at this one today:
HTP Striker XXL Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
90131-XXL-2.jpg

https://www.usaweld.com/Striker-XXL-Welding-Helmet-p/90131-xxl.htm

I like that it has more viewing area. Anyone know if these are any good? Or do you recommend something else? (Really don't care to spend more than $150 as I'm just a hobbyist, not working on the pipeline!) :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have to or three Harbor Freight helmets hanging on the wall with dead batteries. The helmet I am using now is from Tractor Supply. It works great and has replaceable batteries. Adjustable shades, reaction times and grinder mode. But it has a small viewing area. You may need a darker setting when using the tig as you're basically staring at the arc.

bobs409

Administrator
Is there anything darker than shade #13? That's what mine goes up to and where I had it set. :weld

There are literally THOUSANDS of welding helmets for sale online! It's overwhelming trying to pick one. :tantrum

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have talked to some weldors and they talked high of the Jackson brand.
My helmet goes to 13 shade on the stick tig mig setting and on the tig setting it goes to 11

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Is there anything darker than shade #13? That's what mine goes up to and where I had it set. :weld

There are literally THOUSANDS of welding helmets for sale online! It's overwhelming trying to pick one. :tantrum
Sounds like a malfunctioning helmet. Not darkening to the set shade or battery going dead?

bobs409

Administrator
I guess the only way to find out is to try another? I have 2 older ones I could try as a test or my other option is to plunk down more money for a new one.

My eyesight isn't something I care to gamble with though. :alarmed

bobs409

Administrator
Get one with an adjustable response time as well as shade adjustable. Could be why your eyes feel funny...to many UVs getting in before it darkens

The one I have has a switch inside for response time and I have it set to FAST. (why would anyone choose slow?) :rubThe shade adjustment is made with a knob on the outside, it has Grind and then 9-13. I usually set it to 9 for mig welding outside. Tig welding inside is all new to me but I've been using 13.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I usually test out my helmet by holding it out a foot or so, and from moving it from pointing at the floor to pointing it at a bright light or the sun to see if it is darkening.

bobs409

Administrator
It's definitely darkening but is it giving a full #13? That's like asking if my tire gauge is accurate though... :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I recently bought an Iron Man helmet. Very nice helmet, but one drawback. There is no way to attach my 1.75 diopter magnification lens on the inside. That is important with old eyes.