Welding helmets, what's good?

bobs409

Administrator
Today I got to try out the new welding helmet. NOT HAPPY! :mad5 Well I was happy until I was running a bead at about 125 amps and all of a sudden, it went from dark to LIGHT! :alarmedTook me a moment to react. Flashed me good. There is no OFF and I didn't block the arc sensors. (I was in my garage)

So I tried it again and shortly after striking the arc, it flashed me again! I changed a few setting, made sure the battery covers were tight and while running a short bead, it quickly flashed light then back to dark. The 4th time the same so THAT'S IT! 4 times is enough for me. (the first was the worst)

Has anyone ever heard of any brand helmet doing this? I'll try searching the net later to see if others had this problem with the Eastwood brand.

bobs409

Administrator
Set it in the sun for a while to charge the battery and try again.

My search on the net turned up a similar answer. I'll try that tomorrow. (hope we get some sun!) It has a low battery light but it's not on. I did a few small mig welds earlier in the day outside so I would think that should have charged it up. (no flashing noticed while using outside)

They have a 90 day return if not happy and it has a 2 year warranty too. I'll give it one more chance but that's it! :no

I want to hear from all the Harbor Freight haters now! :D My $39.99 helmet never did this!!! :teehee

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The HF one that I used with a tig always flashed me, it was to slow of reating. Didn't bother me when mig welding because I didn't have to watch the spark on startup.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many years ago, before I had any welding experience, I went to a shop that welded many things, but some of the work was welding transmissions convertors back together. They did this behind the Orange curtains. The guy told me it was ok to watch the welding from the other side of the curtain. So I did. Later that night I woke up with major pain and the feeling I had sand in both my eyes. After a trip to the emergency room, and 24hrs with my eyes completely covered, I learned the value of protection when welding. So, get a good helmet regardless of the price. Your eyes will thank you and is worth it.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The only time I had that problem was when my HF helmet's battery went dead after years of use. No problems so far, after several years of use with my Hobart helmet.

I'd call Eastwood immediately to see what they have to say before doing anything else with the helmet Bob.

bobs409

Administrator
I put the helmet in the sun for a few hours today and I think it fixed it. I did some mig welding outside and it worked perfectly. I later did some Tig practicing inside and other than one quick blip, it stayed dark the whole time. The jury is still out because of that one blip though but I have time for more testing. :D

Stuck a few tungstens today. :laugh4 I did a really nice stack of dimes on an outside corner joint. Really gives me hope seeing that. :pray

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The helmet will have to go back. Earlier I was running a bead and it decided to go light again! I've had it! This is unacceptable! I sent Eastwood an email about it.

Now they're going to get it. Do you think its just a defect with that helmet or do you think there is more to it? I have a Jackson and Morsafe and have never had a problem with either.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I stated the brand name of mine wrong earlier in this thread. It is Shop Iron. I got it from Summit Racing earlier this year. It has shade adjustment outside on the left 9-13. Sensitivity adjustment on the right. Inside next to the lens on the left, delay time- short-middle-long. On the right side a switch to select grinding or welding. (doesn't darken from grinding sparks)

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Bob,check out cyberweld’s website.Pretty good deals on helmets.I have a miller digital elite that I purchased from them.If you order before 11:00 am you will have it the next day.I bought my miller mig,tig,and plasma cutter from them.They also stock all the other brands.They have the cheapest prices that I saw on the web.

bobs409

Administrator
Now they're going to get it. Do you think its just a defect with that helmet or do you think there is more to it? I have a Jackson and Morsafe and have never had a problem with either.

Don't know if it's just this one or not but I put my H.F. helmet on and kept going. That didn't go light, worked perfectly!

I guess I should have left good enough alone. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Get a load of this... I explained the situation to Eastwood in an email and I got a reply and they asked how long I put it in the sun, I said about 4 hours. They replied again and said I should try 6-8 hours! Can you believe this? The damn thing should work right out of the box if you ask me! Or at least, put this sun theory in the instructions. Does everyone have to go thru this??