Well here is the final paint on this Ol' Girl

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The trunk shows the gold highlights in that shot, it will look black at night, then in the sun it will show the root beer color and the pagan gold along with the copper, you cant see it in these photos but the roof is pearl ice white with pagan gold pearl, it's just the way I wanted it, it took 2 years to come up with that color and shifting Technic, all I can say is.....MIC DROP , I like it.

Attachments

• primer 64.jpg
    primer 64.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
  • first coat black 64.jpg
    first coat black 64.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 3 coats of copper ,pagan gold and pearl and copper additive 64.jpg
    3 coats of copper ,pagan gold and pearl and copper additive 64.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 5 coats 1.jpg
    5 coats 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 108
  • hood 5 coats.jpg
    hood 5 coats.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 108
  • trunk angle.jpg
    trunk angle.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 111

Junky

Well Known Member
Looks great... If you have the luxury of time, let the paint cure for a month or two, and then wet sand with ultra fine paper (1200 or 1500), and then buff to a high luster. Once that is done, I would then put the chrome on. Check with the paint supplier to see how long you must wait before applying wax. When I have my car base coat / clear coat, the paint manufacturer suggested 8 months to allow for all solvents to fully outgas. That was back in 1992, so things might have changed a lot since then.

Clint

Well Known Member
Looks great... If you have the luxury of time, let the paint cure for a month or two, and then wet sand with ultra fine paper (1200 or 1500), and then buff to a high luster. Once that is done, I would then put the chrome on. Check with the paint supplier to see how long you must wait before applying wax. When I have my car base coat / clear coat, the paint manufacturer suggested 8 months to allow for all solvents to fully outgas. That was back in 1992, so things might have changed a lot since then.
I normally sand and buff within the first week

Junky

Well Known Member
I normally sand and buff within the first week

What type of paint are you spraying? My experience has been mostly with lacquers and acrylic enamels. I have zero experience with some of the new paints, nor the newer paint guns. I learned to paint in 1958, when my father asked me to paint a file cabinet black. The old Devilbiss siphon gun that I had borrowed, had a heating element in the bottom of the can, and you plugged it in to heat the paint before spraying. It worked great, and dried to a nice gloss. I saved what was left of that can of lacquer, and still have it in the garage till today.
I recently learned that PPG has discontinued selling lacquer paints, and the store that I was purchasing it from, has enough left to mix me a quart of paint for my car, and a pint of interior paint. I also bought the last quart of clear that they had and an extra gallon of thinners.