WELL..............

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
How about using a heat gun to to help expand the wheel, if you really don't care about the rims, use a torch. :dunno

Junky

Well Known Member
Can you use some flat steel that you can either weld a bolt to or drill a hole, and put a bolt through, and place between two of the spokes of the alloy wheel? Then use a slide hammer to the bolt, and break the rust bond? You might destroy the wheel, and there is a good chance that it will come loose before the wheel breaks. Also, a heat gun or a heat lamp to heat up the alloy wheel will help. Have you tried the front wheels yet?

55Brodie

Well Known Member
You don't need to pull the axle to replace the wheel studs. I did it on my 62 Impala one Friday evening on the shoulder of I-64 between Richmond and Hampton Virginia nearly 50 years ago. I used a bfh and socket extension to punch out the broken studs and a socket for a spacer to pull the new stud in place with a lug nut. There is enough clearance behind the flange to get the stud started.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Years ago I had a new Ford F-250 (key word new) when I got a flat, had a tough time getting the rear wheel off must have checked a dozen times to see if I had removed all the lug nuts, I ended up putting a 4x4 across the back of the wheel and with a splitting maul and the best swing I could muster and alternating between front and back of wheel it finally came off and yes it was an aluminum wheel. Made me wonder what it would have been like if the wheel had been on there for years. :crazy:crazy:crazy

Junky

Well Known Member
One very good reason to paint the bolt area with never seize when mounting new wheels. Never seize will not wash off with rain water, and is next to impossible to remove from clothing, so be careful when using the product, unless you are wearing work clothing.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
20201005_135551.jpg
20201005_135558.jpg
Seems the PO double nutted the rear rims!!! Don't tell me why!!!!!!
The aluminum rim looked kinda dingy when I took off the chrome lug nuts. There appeared to be an extension in the middle hole that would support the reinforcement and the stud. Finally I got a BFF....second F is flashlight!!! in the recess and I noticed some "straight" edges. Got a socket that fit and WALA!!!!!!!! The socket moved!!
I know when I took the back chromed lug nuts off.....seemed like at least 100ft/lbs was needed to get the started!!!! Why would anyone double nut the rear wheels!!!!!! I know when I used the Porta power that the left rear moved outward. Guess I gotta see if anything is outta whack!!!!
Hope this is all that I have to deal with!!!!
Thanks for all your suggestions!!!!!!