WELL..............

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
MORE MAG WHEEL PROBLEMS:cuss:angry:bat:bang:gaah:tantrum:angry2:mad6
I wrote earlier that the front wheel lug nuts were tight. You told be to get a thinner socket and everything worked out.
My new rims and tires are done. Jacked up the back end of the Vette and the lug nuts were like they had been welded on!!!! Finally got all of the nuts off and guess what??? The rims are like welded to the rear brake backing plates!!!! Layed under the car with my 12# sledge hammer and can not break the rims loose. Sprayed some brake clean on the threads and nothing happens!!!!!!!!
What are my options.......smoke wrench????? I'm buffaloed!!!!

Junky

Well Known Member
Best penetrating oil that I have found is "Deep Creep" by Seafoam. Don't forget to spray around the studs, because that is where it is stuck. I would put the lug nuts back on, and leave them a bit loose. Then take it out on the road, and at 5 or 10 MPH, slam on the brakes. Many times this will loosen the wheel. I use to do sharp figure 8's in the shopping center parking lot on a Sunday when everything was closed, but today, all the stores are open on Sunday. If you know someone with a porta power, you can put one end on the bottom on one rim, and push on the other rim. It might get one loose or two, depending on how stuck they are. I am not a friend of beating on the rims with a hammer, because you run the risk of bending them. A friend has a very large, (3' long) dead blow hammer that he wacks the rims with, and it works great to break them loose. I used a 2" x 12" x 24" long and laid it next to the tire and rim, and would smam it with my sledge hammer, sometimes it would work, and other times, it was a waste of energy.

Edit............. Use your "Hotsy hot water pressure washer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
Buy a can of Deep Creep, and compare for yourself which is better. I wouldn't miss lead you!! This is as good a reason to buy a Porta Power as any. If all else fails, you can always revert back to the words you used to justify the "Hotsy hot water pressure washer" .. :laugh2:mock