WELL..............

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I just don't get it!!!!!
A friend loaned me his 4000# porta power. Had big " foot " adaptors on one end that I placed on the right hand rear tire. Placed the other end on the left hand tire. Right had lugs holding it on and lh didn't have any.
I could see the lh tire move outward a little but the rim will not come off!!!!! Put some penetrate on the studs and came in yor dinner.
I'm just bamfoozald!!!!!!!!

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welll, me thinks you should have done it like Pat suggested and you would be driving it right now. Now your gonna have to get that fancy pantsy power washer out and wash all that Snake Oil off the rear. There, I feel better now!!:cool:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Patience and continued soaking with a penatrant such as PB blast or Deep Creep and whacking on the back of your tire with your sledge. I never hit the rim as it will ruin it. If there are any holes in the wheel that will allow you to get the penetrant down along the face of the drum use those too. and turn the wheel to soak all that you can. You can also try backing the lugs off about 1/2 way and moving the car around in your driveway, turning to put sideways pressure on the rim and tire which also break it loose.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I even tried the other day of spraying the back side of the rim to soak the front of the brake drum. Nada nothing happening.
I'm tired of these rims!!! Told Tooth I was going to get a saws-all and break down the rims that way to get them off!!!!!!!!!
Maybe if I jammed some M80's down between the mag rims and the brake drums!!!!!!!

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
[QUOTE="...Maybe if I jammed some M80's down between the mag rims and the brake drums!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

M80’s?! Think Bigger Phil:D

Junky

Well Known Member
Time to stop screwing around with it. Take a 3# hammer, and knock the studs into the drums. You can put them back later after you get the rims off. Once you have all the studs knocked into the drum, take is for a ride down the interstate, and start weaving in and out of traffic. Guaranteed that that tire and rim are going to come off! I patiently await the results of this last suggestion. :sick2

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What should have been a relatively simple wheel change has turned into a nightmare. It's a lot of work but worst case start sawing those ugly azz wheels. I would have to think once you cut all around you could force a wedge/chisel between and get the hub off the drum

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looked at the wheels again, pretty big windows between spokes. Can you get a nail puller in between the wheel and drum and pry it off?6GRL3_AS01.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Never thought of that Mike!!!!!
Tried small crow bar, tried larger crow bar, pickle bar NO......can't find my brake shoe adjustment tool. Your nail remover looks to be the right tool. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks again!!!!!!

heddrik

Well Known Member
Poor Phil. This is just crazy. Hope you don't end up jack hammering the entire rear end, looks like you may have to. As a possible last resort, have you thought about using a dremel tool with pointed cutter around all the openings, including the center?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil, do you have an air impact hammer? Put pressure on with the porta power like you were doing pushing the wheels apart. Then use the impact hammer with punch on the rim between the hub and the studs like you were trying to push the rim on farther. Work all the way around the rim several times. It may jar the rust loose. I have done this with stubborn rusty brake drums to get them off.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Call your local tire dealer and ask if they have experience removing frozen alloy wheels. If you like their explanation make an appointment.