What’s your guess on the trucks of the future.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
With the BIG auto makers changing platforms in the future to rely more on Electric power.
We hear more and more of the car market changing over gas/electric.
What’s your view on the TRUCK programs doing the same ?
Dave

bobs409

Administrator
So when new cars no longer need gasoline, will they do away with that like they did with the zinc in oil? like the lead in gasoline?

I think they can stick this hybrid crap where the sun don't shine! :mad5

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is a company (cant remember what off brand it is) with a full-size half ton truck with a 400 plus mile range all electric that has the big 3 shaking in their boots. Before we die there will be an all electric Corvette.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That sounds just like what people said about cars when they first hit the streets. Fast forward to now and apply what you just asked and you have your answer. Keep in mind Chevy already has a 600hp electric Copo crate motor concept car. In a new camaro it has done 9sec in the 1/4 mile. Remember "Who would want one?"

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rivian, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 0-100MPH in 7 seconds, top speed 125mph, 826 ft lbs torque, 400 mile range, made in USA, US$61,500 for the entry level. No urea, 4 electric motors, one at each wheel, 11,000 lbs towing capacity, no oil to change, no gas tank, no internal combustion engine, no sensors, no transmission, no exhaust system, no fuel tax......................... For sale in 2020.

Add a sound track of a 409 and a plastic model of a 409 under the hood?:tongue2:tongue2:crazy:crazy

Or buy a turbo 4 Silverado or turbo V6 F150?
rivian-2-copy.png

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Rivian, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 0-100MPH in 7 seconds, top speed 125mph, 826 ft lbs torque, 400 mile range, made in USA, US$61,500 for the entry level. No urea, 4 electric motors, one at each wheel, 11,000 lbs towing capacity, no oil to change, no gas tank, no internal combustion engine, no sensors, no transmission, no exhaust system, no fuel tax......................... For sale in 2020.

Add a sound track of a 409 and a plastic model of a 409 under the hood?:tongue2:tongue2:crazy:crazy

rivian-2-copy.png

John Deere has a +100,000# rubber tired 9-10 cubic yard end loader that has an all electric drive train. Trans and all 4 wheels. I believe it was introduced in 2016. Haven't demoed one or talked to anyone who has had one. Not a new concept as Le Tourneau had electric drive to the wheels in scrapers and maybe end loaders in the 50's.

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

rivian-2-copy.png
Ordered a new Silverado for my work truck and thought about giving the 2.7 a try but chickened out. I am confident I will get a ton of miles out of the 5.3 but not sure about the 4 cylinder. Maybe next time.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is the truck I saw in the article. We don't want to change anymore than the horse riders did 110 years ago. All electric will pass gas some day, even in motorsports. "Gentalmen turn on you battery!"

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jeff, if the 2019 is anything like my 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3, the only time you will see that the engine is in 4 cylinder mode is when you are going down hill.
Dave

Clint

Well Known Member
And where do we get all the electricity to power the recharge grid? Oh,I forgot....the sun and wind.
We have enough trouble providing enough power to prevent brown outs and blackouts now. Imagine everybody charging at once.
I just heard at a seminar last month that if we all drove electric cars right now, it would increase our electric usage by 30 percent.

Last edited: