What a Tuesday ! - Fuel leak + wiper motor

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
2 issues on Blanche this week:

1). Pretty bad fuel leak from the rubber hose on the fuel line connection right at the X-frame. Never been bathed in gas before & I’m pretty sure I don’t want to again! Old line was a bugger to get off as it was pretty well rotted. Finally got the old line off & the leaked stopped & will end up replacing ALL the rubber connections on my fuel line (I believe there are only 2?) Do others still have the 3-4” rubber connections between the fuel lines?

2). Inadvertently discovered my wipers don’t work. I never use them as Blanche has never seen rain! Other than a replacement, anyone have any suggestions? I’ll check the usual suspects first (loose wire, ground issue, etc), but was wondering if there’s anything else specific I should look at.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If everything checks out with the wiring on the wiper motor it could be the grease got hard inside the motor and is holding the internal switches and contact up. I had that same problem with my 62 so I removed the wiper motor and disassembled it cleaned all the contacts and switches then regreased everything with white lithium grease and it has worked like new ever since.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If everything checks out with the wiring on the wiper motor it could be the grease got hard inside the motor and is holding the internal switches and contact up. I had that same problem with my 62 so I removed the wiper motor and disassembled it cleaned all the contacts and switches then regreased everything with white lithium grease and it has worked like new ever since.
common problem. jim

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
What they said, I had to do the same to my 62 2-speed wiper motor. It only used to work when it was warm, so summer was fine, winter no go, because grease was too hard.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I’ll check the ground connection and the grease in the wiper motor.

On the fuel line question, I guess there aren’t too many options other than to use the rubber piece between the pieces?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
First day of sunshine in the last 8 days here in SC.

I crawled under Blanche and fixed the gas line.

I’m assuming that cable is my Emergency Brake ? That support bracket caused me such a headache earlier this week as I couldn’t get my hands on both ends of the hose.

View attachment 68688

Yes that is your park or emergency brake, how ever you would want to call it.
On the rubber or flex hoes options, you will always want some flex hose between body chassis and engine chassis.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Chevrolet Wiper motors, are a strange breed.:dunnoMy girl and I, were out and about, driving around one day, and my wiper motor stopped, with the two wipers vertical in the center of the windshield. This was in a downpour.:drop After about 30 seconds, they started back up, and worked normally. :dunno2Kind of gets your attention, Really Fast.:eek1