What air conditioning kit vendors do you recommend for a 1958 Impala?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm shopping for an air conditioning kit for a 1958 Impala non-ac car with a 348 motor. What have been your experiences with the vendors you've chosen? What kinds of problem did you encounter when you installed these kits? How long have they lasted? How well do they heat and cool inside? Was it direct fit or a universal type kit? Please let me know when you guys have a chance. I'd like to order a kit soon. Thanks for your help. Steve.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
The only A/C units I use is Vintage Air. They've been in business for decades with great customer service. Unfortunately they don't produce a Sure Fit unit for a 58. I'd call hem and see which unit they recommend for your 58.

Gary

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hey Cayneman, I decided to go with Vintage Air and the staff helped me piece together the parts I needed-only thing left is the electric fan for the condenser and a/c hoses and the E-Z clip fittings.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Steve, good choice on the Vintage Air system. What makes you think you need an electric fan for the condenser? Do you mean a pusher fan in front of the radiator? I don't use pusher fans as they restrict air flow. My 63 Impala the car in my avatar has a Vintage Air Sure Fit Gen lV system and the only fan is a steel engine driven clutch fan with factory shroud and no cooling problems what so ever.

Gary

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Steve, good choice on the Vintage Air system. What makes you think you need an electric fan for the condenser? Do you mean a pusher fan in front of the radiator? I don't use pusher fans as they restrict air flow. My 63 Impala the car in my avatar has a Vintage Air Sure Fit Gen lV system and the only fan is a steel engine driven clutch fan with factory shroud and no cooling problems what so ever.

Gary
Hi Cayneman, when you put the clutch fan on your car, did you have to remove the radiator and shroud? I'm planning on putting on a fan clutch on mine since I can't get my 58 to cool down, running hot in stop and go traffic.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
You shouldn't have to remove the radiator or shroud to install a clutch fan. The fan blades should just be 1/2 into the shroud. Doubt installing a clutch fan is your problem. The cooling rule of thumb is runs hot at low speed is not enough fan. Being as thats whats happening in your case you might want to use a larger steel engine driven fan.